1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lofton backs Sheffield's claim of different treatment of black and white Yankees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jul 15, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Lofton backs Sheffield's claim of different treatment of black and white Yan

No one thinks his silence reads like he agrees with Sheffield. Have you followed Jeter's career? He is the biggest personal cheerleader there is for "Mr. Torre."

The real problem people had with Jeter is that Sheffield questioned Jeter's blackness (he's not REALLY black, so Torre doesn't treat him poorly) and Jeter didn't stand up and establish his cred by getting into a war of words about it. It had nothing to do with Jeter addressing Torre. The criticism here is that Sheffield insulted Jeter personally and rather than yell back at Sheffield through the press, Jeter stayed quiet.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Re: Lofton backs Sheffield's claim of different treatment of black and white Yan

And that's exactly the problem with Jeter. He's interested in keeping his image intact and getting endorsement contracts. How about showing some fucking human emotion for a change? Someone just called him a half-breed and his manager a racist. That should elicit some kind of reaction, even if Sheffield is a moron. Especially since Jeter is the Yankee captain. It'd be nice if he actually spoke up and took a position for a change instead of worrying about his image.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Jeter may be the only person I have ever seen never feed a troll.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

So that means Jeter has never spoken to you, Simon.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If that's your definition, then he's never yapped to you, either.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You'd think you'd save your invective for Sheffield's belligerent and ignorant remarks about Jeter's family history, rather than Jeter's mature ability to turn the other cheek, especially against someone as deranged and psychotic as Sheffield.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I probably missed it.. but has anyone tried getting a comment from Bernie Williams on this?

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I already said Sheffield's ignorant and full of shit. That's a given. I'm just pointing out that Jeter absolutely runs from anything remotely controversial, every single time. Someone directs very personal insults toward him and his manager, and as the captain of the team, he no comments. Very lame. At the very least he could speak up in defense of Torre (or of Sheffield, for that matter, if that's how he feels.) I'm not a Jeter hater. I think the arguments on this board that he's the most overrated player or the worst defensive shortstop are ridiculous. I'm just saying that the guy goes to great lengths to act like a cardboard cutout.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bernie's Puerto Rican and Torre only hates REAL African Americans, not those of African heritage that are from far away places like Puerto Rico, the Domincan Republic, Panama and Cuba.

10. IU90

IU90 Member

This whole controversy is ridiculous. Including both his playing and managing career, Joe Torre has been part of MLB for nearly 50 years now, and not once during that time has anybody ever suggested he had any issues with race whatsoever. And, to my knowledge, he's always had an impeccable reputation for his integrity and character.

But now Gary Sheffield, a guy who's always been one of the all-time whiners and complainers since the day he set foot in the league, who always seems to think everyone's out to get him even as they're handing him million dollar checks, decides to roast Torre as the object of his latest paranoid ramblings, and we're supposed to take it seriously? We're now supposed to examine Torre for possible latent racism? Bullshit.

11. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

REGARDLESS if they are pricks, malcontents and sullen.

They are PLAYERS and OWNERS are PAYING MAJOR COIN.

Your opinion of them does NOT matter to them. If it did. They wouldn't be SAYING ANYTHING CONTROVERSIAL.

If anything you need to look at the QUIET TYPES - they are the ones that'll be bitter AFTER their career is over. These PLAYERS are POPIN OFF while playing.

They get my respect for keeping it REAL and making FOLKS UNCOMFORTABLE.

p.s. Sheffied got it right regarding Jeter's ethnicity.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But why should Jeter make a headline just to placate the media? Sheff comment speaks for itself with no comment required on part of Jeter or Torre.

What has to happen now is that guys like Willie Randolph need to step up for Joe. Also the NY beats who covered the Yankees through the Joe Torre era need to step up. Guys like Joel Sherman , George King and Tyler Klepner have been in clubhouse the whole time and know the landscape.

Sheff and Lofton are serial malcontents and full of shit. Lofton never got over Joe batting him 9th when the Yankees opened 2004 season against Tampa in Japan. The thinking was that Lofton was so upset after that he "jaked" an injury. He just never fit in Yankee clubhouse and was not willing to buy into how Joe managed.

Draft saved Draft deleted