1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lofton backs Sheffield's claim of different treatment of black and white Yankees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jul 15, 2007.

1. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

Re: Lofton backs Sheffield's claim of different treatment of black and white Yan

I seem to remember that when they acquired Charlie Hayes at the August 31 deadline, Boggs was quoted as saying something like, "I'll get my 3,000th hit somewhere else".

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

And he did!!!!

3. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

Re: Lofton backs Sheffield's claim of different treatment of black and white Yan

right in 1999 for tampa bay, but i think he actually said that comment also.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Lofton had to behave in Pittsburgh because his career was on the line. Nobody signed him. Pittsburgh was the only team interested, and even then he didn't sign until halfway through spring training. He got the message that his reputation was known all over MLB and he'd better do some rehab on that. He didn't even spend the whole season in Pittsburgh. I show him traded on July 22 so his brief time there may not be the best indicator of what he's really like.

If Torre really had different standards based on race, isn't it peculiar that Willie Randolph stayed on his staff so long?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Where's your blue font? Canseco is a scumbag who happened to include some truth in his bullshit book. Doesn't mean he deserves any trust at all.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Really? His book changed baseball history (if accidentally), I think Patrick with his weepy pleading of Canseco not to publish is the one with credibility issues.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Sheffield is going on, what?, 15+ years of throwing around the race card like the 2 of spades ... I seem to recall him calling the Brewers' pitchers "girls" and accusing Milwaukee fans of being racist for booing him when, among other extenuating factors such as hitting about .190, he was firing balls into the stands at fans ... tired act, pal, and here's hoping the wolf finally eats your crying ass.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm sure... sure... Bryant Gumball mentioned that Sheffield, despite his .926 career OPS, was working for his seventh team.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What did he say that most people doubted but turned out to be true? Palmeiro. That's it.

Canseco is a self-serving scumbag who has no respect for baseball, the law, his family or himself. He'd sell his soul for another 15 minutes of fame and a few more bucks. Then again, maybe he already did that.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I dont get how Sheffield could say Torre treats black players differently and then come back and say he's not a racist(during the same interview).

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is it possible to dislike, even disrespect, a person who happens to be black without being a racist?

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

But when he first said that comment about Torre treating black players badly, he said in a way in which Torre only did because of the color of their skin. He said he was "singling/calling" them out.

Draft saved Draft deleted