1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lofton backs Sheffield's claim of different treatment of black and white Yankees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jul 15, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I didn't see any a thread on this--it's probably buried in the running MLB thread--but I figured it deserved its own forum:

Sheffield on Torre:
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070714/SPORTS18/707140368/1050

Lofton's support of Sheffield's statment:
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-sbynotes155294608jul15,0,7236688.story?coll=ny-baseball-headlines
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/07/15/2007-07-15_lofton_sheff_is_right_on_joe-1.html

2. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

I'm not suggesting anything improper, but odd coincidence on how both papers used the phrase "chimed in," which you don't use every day.

Newsday: ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Former Yankee Kenny Lofton chimed in yesterday on Gary Sheffield's comments that Joe Torre treats black and white players differently.

NYDN: T. PETERSBURG - Gary Sheffield isn't the only player who feels Joe Torre treated black players differently than white players, as Sheffield's former teammate, Kenny Lofton, chimed in with his thoughts yesterday before his Rangers played in Anaheim.

3. Yes, you do. It has very much become a cliche in these instances.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Lofton and Sheffield, two solid citizens.

The Braves caught Lofton's act for one year, then got his ass out of there ASAP.

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

It's strange that this comes up now and not earlier. Torre's been managing about 20 years. Makes you wonder why no one else ever had a problem with him. Consider the source. Those two are about as credible as Canseco and McGuire.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I disagree... The first person they went to with Sheffield's claims agreed with them... That makes him look pretty credible even if Sheffield is a former steroid user and Lofton is known for being difficult to deal with...

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I had to deal with him briefly - thank gosh - while he was in Atlanta. I wasn't in that clubhouse often. When I was, it was a great room to work.
    He was the big, big, big exception.
    What a prick.

8. Lofton was a model citizen in Pittsburgh, created no issues, and was a good teammate for many of the young players during 2003. I have to laugh at the constant Lofton ripping because he flamed out in Atlanta.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Re: Lofton backs Sheffield's claim of different treatment of black and white Yan

Lofton may be fine with other players, but I know a lot of people in our biz to whom he's been a moody, sullen asshole.

Sheffield is full of crap. I'd give what he says about Torre more credence if he'd said it while he was still a Yankee instead of waiting to smear the guy once he doesn't have to see him on a daily basis anymore. Think of all the players of color Torre has played with and managed in his career, and this is the first we're hearing that he treats them differently? C'mon. BTW, Sheff's comments about steroids and Jeter's ethnicity expose what an ignorant guy he really is.

Jeter's overwhelming blandness amazes me. Sheffield basically calls him a half-breed and questions his blackness, and his response is "No comment"? No visible anger whatsoever. The guy is like an android.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Jeter is kind of like Michael Corleone. He never gets upset in public. He just writes people off.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Jeter is simply the luckiest guy in baseball history.

Nothing more or less.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

HB, you just insulted Michael Corleone.
    I wouldn't count on living through the night.

Draft saved Draft deleted