1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Locked and Loaded in Chipotle, Texas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, May 20, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't believe those next two grafs add much more than what was originally quoted. I think it's a given that the threat is let us in with guns or we won't eat here.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

After the Black Panthers exercised their Open Carry rights in 1967 ...

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/09/the-secret-history-of-guns/308608/?single_page=true

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are plenty of people of all races who love guns.

The instances of one or two white yokels showing up in town square or Chipotle with guns on their shoulders outnumbers that of minorities doing the same probably by 500-1, if not more.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Outside of Chicago, at least.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I took a concealed carry class to do research for a story. The two guys who teaching wanted us to think that imminent danger was around every corner, and that if we don't have a gun on our person, we are sure to die a horrible, ugly death. I'm 50 years old, and I have been in exactly zero situations where I thought, "Man, I sure would feel a lot safer if I had a gun on me." I got the feeling that some of the other students in that class -- those who brought multiple handguns to the class to use for the shooting test -- would be very, very happy if they happen upon a situation where they could draw their weapons.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In the right hands, fear can be a very powerful and profitable thing.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There is a great line in the BBC show Luther about guns. The lead character was asked why he does not carry a gun, and he responded...

"I don't ever want to shoot anyone."

If I ever had an intruder in my home while my family was here, which would be less probable than getting hit by lightning, we would not confront the intruder. Just let him take what he wants, then call the police. If I had a gun, I would be escalating the situation to a point where I might be forced to kill the person or they try to kill me.

Also, my kid getting the weapon and killing themselves or someone else is not a factor anymore.

So I guess some people deep down do want to kill. That's why they have guns.

My home security system makes my home much safer than a weapon, IMHO.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Came upon a guy breaking into my rental car in Mesa, Ariz. (shocking right?) - I was more nervous about missing my flight than dealing with the guy, so I just told him to leave and he did - though he left his Bronco hat behind so I tossed it in his direction, in appreciation he said he was going to get his gun. I didn't care, I had a flight to catch and didn't really care he broke a vent window (Enterprise apparently didn't either) - and that was that. Of course about 10 minutes later, I got the shakes. It takes me a little while to wake up in the morning.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Besides "fair trade/ locally sourced" is it farm to table ? table to farm?
    floor to plate?

I find the ordering process at Chipotle wildly complex with too many
    options and servers hard of hearing. You have to really stay focused
    as you side step down the chow line to make sure no mistakes are made.

Adding a gun to the mix might only make it more complex. Also could get
    very tense should one of the hearing challenged servers mistakenly put
    guacamole on "no guac' order.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Chili's and Sonic also targeted, no pun intended. An issue in Texas is that the state alcohol board does not allow businesses with liquor licenses to allow guns on the premises. I'm sure, already, there is someone drawing up legislation to drop that rule.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/22/chilis-gun_n_5374826.html?1400851971&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Well, really, what could go wrong when liquor and guns mix?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Who eats at the Sonic patio?

Draft saved Draft deleted