1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Locked and Loaded in Chipotle, Texas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, May 20, 2014.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Don't assume. You don't know much about firearms, do you? One "bump" isn't going to cause a round to discharge.

Concealed carry is far better anyway. Toting one of these ARs around, you could get salsa in the dust cover.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

All I know is, if you need a gun to eat Mexican food, you're not doing it right.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yes. Local is always better, but what do you want from a fast casual chain that has relatively low prices and also fair trade/locally sourced food? How much does it cost you to make the same burrito at home? Probably 12 bucks.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Because I'm sadistic like that, I went to Brietbart.com to read the comments of crazy people on this subject. (FoxNews.com buried the story off the front page, and disallowed comments).

My trip didn't disappoint. People honestly believe they're in danger of imminent death sitting in a Chipotle without a gun.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Someone may well prove me wrong, but somehow I suspect that all of these open-carry idiots have been a particular race. And somehow I would suspect that -- and let's just say it -- a black guy walked in open-carrying an AR-15, these open-carry idiots wouldn't stop to find out if he was just exercising his freedom.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yup, hence my white privilege remark.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In a state with Open Carry and Stand Your Ground, wouldn't "some guy is toting around a machine gun" qualify as a perceived imminent threat? At least if he raises it in anything close to your direction.

So two of these idiots have a beef, or just misunderstand each other's eye contact, and one of them can blow the other one's head off.

Actually that sounds pretty good.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You guys could be right, I am not in that world.

But then again, you could be wrong. Its been my limited experience that political leanings are sometimes thicker than blood and skin color. Look at the hatred spewed by left leaning blacks against the Clarence Thomases of the world. Or the embracing from the far right wackos (the kind from which you'd expect racist leanings) of the Clarence Thomases of the world, and the other conservative blacks.

It'd be a pretty good experiment to find out. I think if the two nose-pickers pictured here saw a black NRA guy walk in with an automatic rifle, there'd be awkward high fives all around.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Next to be gun-shamed: Smashburger.

[​IMG]

Good piece here about the whole Take-Your-Machine-Gun-To-The-Fast-Food-Joint Day movement and its backlash.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-05-22/gun-slinging-at-chipotle-smells-like-appomattox

Though the Florida Alligator has the best headline: "Leave the guns, take the burrito."

http://www.alligator.org/opinion/columns/article_06d58b36-e164-11e3-b5f2-0019bb2963f4.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't know exactly what I would do if I were a restaurant manager, but I'm pretty damn sure Mr. Grisham would not feel comfortable.

It's called hiding behind the Constitution, buddy.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Just look at the size of those cannons. But what good are they in that enviro?

One guy who knows how to handle a 9mm could walk in and take out every one one of these gun nuts before they could pick up their assault weapons and aim them.

Concealed carry is a far better alternative.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Kind of a convenient dropping of this follow-up quote (next two sentences in the Forbes story) ...

Personally I think those open-carry yahoos are idiotic, but I see a lot of idiocy across the spectrum these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted