1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local TV reporters wearing team gear

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Sep 10, 2009.

1. The inbred homers here in northwest Arkansas wear Razorbacks gear during broadcasts. Even worse is one of the newspapers that routinely runs house ads saying "The Morning News supports the Razorbacks." However, that has not diminished their coverage. It's as awful as always.

2. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

It's not just TV people ... I covered Florida-Tenn. this past weekend and there were at least 10 "working" media members wearing Gators gear in the press box.

3. Seriously don't all newspapers do that?
    It's advertising ...

4. No place I'd been around before said the publication "supported" the local sports team. It's bush league.

5. longtimecomin

longtimecomin Member

When a play-by-play person is a bit of a homer, I'm fine with that. He or she is employed by the team and I know that going in. I grew up listening to Jack Buck, who was fabulous and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. But he was obviously rooting for the Cardinals (In fact, that excitement at crucial times made him great.) and I know there was some stuff that went on during the 1970s when the team was down that he never mentioned on the air. And you know what?? That wasn't his role.

But on the flip side, it's a massive journalistic breakdown when a reporter -- and I use that term loosely -- for a local journalistic entity is hired by a team or sports organization that he covers. In Indianapolis, the sports anchor for the NBC affiliate is paid by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to be the track announcer. I am not making this up. . .and he's supposed to be covering the Speedway, which is a pretty deal in that market, to say the least.

That's the stuff that's a joke and goes on all the time. .. .No wonder the general public thinks we're all in bed together. . . and no wonder I hardly ever watch local news anymore either. Complete waste of time.

6. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

How about this tweet from the Denver Broncos' team feed today?

"Maybe McDaniels is rubbing off on the media corps. Two of the Five print reporters here have our hoodies on."

EDIT: I guess this is Lindsey Jones' Denver Post feed. Maybe she means Denver Post sweatshirts? I have no idea.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I'd be more concerned with McDaniels rubbing off on the media corps.

Draft saved Draft deleted