1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local TV reporters wearing team gear

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Sep 10, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This, from Len Shapiro of the WaPo...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/08/AR2009090802445.html

Two local TV reporters worked the Redskins preseason games as sideline reporters, wearing Redskins polo shirts. Definitely caught my attention, but beyond this, I haven't heard much about it.

Thoughts?

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Nothing new. The Packers' preseason sideline reporter has worn a Packers polo for years ... and she's a sports anchor in Milwaukee.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't know why this is a surprise to anyone. They're working for the Skins in that capacity. If the station had a problem with them wearing Redskins gear they wouldn't let them work for the Skins.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Still better than our local yokel who went high-stepping along the sidelines, camera on shoulder, when Local U girl hit a game-tying buzzer-beater.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Our local TV guys -- as well as that noted journalist Paul-Fbaum -- have breakfast with the Sabans for their morning show...

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Local TV folks are unabashed homers. They play to the viewers with no J-ethics. They're entertainment, not journalists.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

High school girls hoops, get into it.

8. KG

KG Active Member

Anytime I act appalled by a local TV person doing that, others look at me with this stupid look and say something like, "but of course [local yokel] is going to wear [local team's] gear. Don't you want them on the home team's side?"

I've finally given up.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Actually, NCAA D-II women's hoops. High school-level talent, though.

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head. That's why I rarely watch local TV news.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well, then... how do you get highlights if you don't watch "WE'VE GOT HIGHLIGHTS!"

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you work for the team, even on a contract basis, you wear what they tell you to.

Draft saved Draft deleted