1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local sports writer, Times-Herald (Vallejo, Calif.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by luckyducky, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Stupid

Stupid Member

I never lived in Vallejo but there's hardly anyone in the Bay Area (at least within 30 miles of SF/Oak) that doesn't have a roommate and makes less than $40K. But roommate situations are very easy to come by there.

2. gauchoguy16

gauchoguy16 Member

I started at the VTH a few years ago as my first real job after graduating and while the hours and pay sucks, it gave me a great amount of experience that helped land me two other jobs, as I am now a MLB beat writer for a far larger paper.
    As jeanpaul said, you get to go out to most A's-Giants homestands, at least for one game, you get to cover Raiders-49ers home games, and after working there for a couple months, they give you a sports column. Which is huge for getting your name out there and gaining another sort of experience most prep writers or recent college grads don't get.
    I traveled once in my time there - down to LA for a basketball tournament - so don't expect travel and I lived with two other roommates in Napa when I was there. It was very difficult, but I don't think people get into this business for the $$.
    If anyone has any Q's about this shop, feel free to PM me.

3. bump ... any update here?

4. 805atHeart

805atHeart Member

Was filled a little while ago.

Applied maybe 3-4 weeks ago (way too late) and got a letter from the SE maybe a week later telling me it had already been filled.

5. Thanks for the info. Hadn't heard anything and was curious.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

make more money after a masters ... you fucking rookie.

Draft saved Draft deleted