1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local man no longer able to read Onion's paper version

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, May 6, 2009.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

At least out West. The LA and San Fran. publications are shutting down. Rumor was that all paper versions were closing but that was false. And they say other papers - such as Minneapolis - are doing well.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I picked up a copy from a box outside a row of bars a few Fridays ago, the issue featuring a story on a group of high school girls who were allegedly fingered during a field trip or something. I laughed. I cried.
  3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The Onion has a print edition? Huh, didn't know that.
  4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It was print long before web. The first time I saw it was in '95 or '96 and I had no idea what it was, but I was blown away. Someone had a copy of the paper that had the infamous "Black Bear Attacks, Rapes Zookeeper," (which isn't available in their archives, that's how old it is), and at first - like a Chinese news agency - I thought it was real. It only took a sentence to figure out the truth, but was still an amazing discovery.
  5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I saw it online first, but I got my first print edition at my hotel in Boulder, Colo.

Sad that the LA edition is going down. I have a friend in Los Angeles, and the lobby of his apartment building has the latest Onion every week.
  7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I, too, did not know they did paper.
  8. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I discovered it through paper as well. Easy to find in coffee and sandwich shops, watering holes, etc. The paper version is easier to read and has fun graphics/layout stuff that didn't translate to the web, although they've found a way to translate most of them by now.

I love the opinion columns the most. Anchower, Kornfeld, etc.
  9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

First saw it in Madison as a freshman a looong time ago. One year later, through a series of friends and connections, I was offered a chance to be an intern on the staff and help write.

In probably the dumbest financial decision of my life, I turned down an opportunity to join The Onion on the ground floor so I could make money waiting tables.

That would have been the writing version of joining Google in 1999. Doh.
Draft saved Draft deleted