1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local magazines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The posting from Pittsburgh Magazine on the jobs board got me wondering, which cities/metro areas have the best local magazines? How about places where the local mags are bad?

I've always thought Richmond Magazine and the Washingtonian were good.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Richmond Magazine is very good. It's a great help in finding all the cool things to do in town. It's great for the coffee table, and much nicer to read on paper than online.

Phoenix had something called The New Times 20 years ago that was fantastic.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My wife works for Indianapolis Monthly. It's an excellent mag except when they let my byline sneak in.

The parent company owns Los Angeles mag, Orange County, Cincinnati, Atlanta, all can be pretty good at times. There's also Texas Monthly, which for my money is the gold standard for regional mags.

4. I second that, playthrough. Texas Monthly far outshines any regional magazine I've seen. Most of the national ones, too. Chicago is also good, but it's a distant, distant second behind TM for my favorite.

Draft saved Draft deleted