1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local kid lands ESPN No. 1 highlight

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Wake Forest recruit Devin Thomas turned our night a little topsy-turvy. Playing in a conference championship game for Central Dauphin (Pa.) High School, he got it suspended midway through the third quarter by shattering a backboard. It's ESPN's No. 1 big play of the night.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You only cover us when someone destroys school property!

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Terrible decision by ESPN. All this does is encourage more idiotic behavior by those who want their 15 seconds of fame.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But what idiotic behavior was on the video?

Seemed to me like a typical alley-oop dunk that just happened to shatter a backboard. Didn't really see anything premeditated or especially vicious in the dunk.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Are we going to have one of these threads every day? Seems only fair, since someone's local kid is a hero on ESPN every day of the week.

6. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

Get off my lawn!!!

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't know that there was any. I guess my point is, rather than see if they can match this kid, 99 percent of high schoolers ought to practice their free throws or dribbling with their less-dominant hand. And I guess I don't see that as likely.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Made the Yahoo! sports blog.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/pennsylvania-star-devin-thomas-tears-down-backboard-suspends-141106548.html

This is by far the biggest thing to hit mid-PA since that young reporter at the Harrisburg paper nailed the story that was Joe Paterno's failure to act in the Sandusky case.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My feet were on ESPN during a Top 10 play back in 2006...can I start a thread about that?

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You gotta be fucking kidding me, spike. Some of the threads started here, and you're going to call me on this?

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I was playing off of TigerVols post...settle down shottie. I makes the funnies

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It doesn't matter how well 99 percent of high school basketball players shoot free throws or dribble with their off hands. And I don't think this video being a highlight will have any effect on whether those kids practice those things or not, anyway.

Did that fuck you on deadlines, Shotglass?

And, regarding the ESPN highlight itself: Was the "You don't see that a lot in high school," directed at the alley-oop or the glass shattering?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.