1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local former athlete dies of overdose

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chazp, Dec 3, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

I'm so damn mad today. A former high school softball player died of a overdose this weekend. What a freaking waste. Only 20 years old. Was home for the weekend from college and OD'ed on X and alcohol. I'm freaking numb right now. Have you ever written a "Don't do drugs column?" Did it do any good? Would it do any good? I just what to know if there's anything I can do to help prevent this from repeating itself in my area. Okay, that's naive on my part. People will always take drugs, but can we as the media do anything to steer them away from them? Damn, I'm sick. When I heard about this I thought it was some sick joke. I can't describe how awful I feel about this kid.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't do drugs is too broad.

Can you talk to friends about her? Was there a party of some sort? Maybe talk to the doofuses who were there? Cops who were called?

Anything you can do to make it real is gonna be a lot more effective than a Nancy Reagan speech.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I agree with Ace. See if you can get some friends/family/whatever to talk about her.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

This isn't quite the same thing but...

A few years ago, I watched as my then-grade school son was nearly hit by a car which blew through the school bus stop arm. It was a clear morning, no excuse for not seeing the flashing lights, especially as the bus driver always turned on the flashers long before he stopped in front of my house. To this day, I still don't know if my daughter really did pull him back or a guardian angel pulled him back onto the driveway because he was in the street.

I wrote about it. About an hour after it happened. I was furious.

I got more comments about that column than any other I've ever written -- a couple years after even. If I made one driver more aware of school bus stop arms and the state law about stopping for them no matter what, then I did my job.

The offender never was ticketed (although I have my suspicions who it was.)

Write about it. Write what's in your heart. You'll find the words. Doesn't mean you have to publish it, but write.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

How many hits of X does it take to OD?

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Depends. If you're dehytrated (like, say, from clubbing for hours) and the drug makes your body start to overheat, not very much can kill you fairly quickly. Your organs start to fail and once that happens, it's tough to treat.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate the impact. If even just a small number of parents share your article with their young offspring, it could be a real eye opener for some.

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

The do-the-column-or-don't is a classic example of the what our customers want to read and what other reporters want to read. I understand that, as a reporter, I'd barely skim over a "Don't do drugs" column, and rightfully so. But most readers see you as a figurehead and your words can help.

Is there a happy medium? Yes. Write the column, but personalize it and make it relevant to the current case. Talk to cops and friends. If you tell them your aim is this column and not an expose to ruin a reputation, then they will be willing to talk more freely and lend credence to your story.

Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted