1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local Content vs. National Content

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TarHeelMan, Jun 27, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

You're sort of missing the point. Sure, there is a place for an 8-inch story in sections. We had one in today's section, on someone getting hired by the local hockey team. But if a writer spends 3-4 hours watching a game, writing 8 inches on it IS a waste of his time, and he likely won't be able to tell the story of the game in that space. We have 8-inch prep gamers all the time. I am thinking more about bigger sports. And when we did have the 8-inch, hold to the front requirement, we always had a notebook inside with supplemental info.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think I did miss the point. Because you didn't detail all the delimiters. :)

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

There are ALWAYS exceptions in this business. Well, at least when it comes to content.

4. doctorx

doctorx Member

I'm going to assume no one here has dealt with it. Be very glad.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Easier some places than others. If you're someplace that has a MLB or NFL team in state, chances are you're getting some content from AP (or other wire service) on them. If, like some of us, you work in a place without a major pro team or FBS college within hundreds of miles, it's much harder.

Sure, you can do some good features and enterprise on whatever's around, but you're going to have to write them yourselves.

Another issue that seems to come up is vacations/furloughs. It seems like throughout the entire summer, we were often one body short, due to either vacations, furloughs, staff changes, whatever. Granted, those things have to happen and it's better in the summer than most other times of the year. But it still means someone has to pick up the slack on the copy desk and there's one less person around to do whatever.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You must have a good size newshole.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well, if you are writing 30-inch gamers you use more newshole than an 8-inch gamer and a 12-15-inch notebook would use.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's a waste of a writer's time to hammer out 25 inches on what could have been said in 10. I'll take two 10-inch stories over one 25-incher any day given that more ground can be covered in print and especially online.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I meant to get into this last night, on the topic of a reporter's time. That 10 inch story plus blog posts plus some sort of online element like postgame video, and suddenly that 3-4 hours has been productively spent.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

On the issue of gamers...we typically shoot for the 12-18" range, but leeway has to be given for an exciting game that warrants more space or a game that turns into a dud and can be wrapped up in 8.

Another factor is that with the staff crunching most of us have experienced, I often find myself swinging by for the first half in one gym and the second half somewhere else. If the first game is a blowout by halftime, I can easily wrap that up in a short space and save more room for a more competitive contest.

11. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

Too many just empty their notebook and call it a gamer...For the most part, the majority of what you are writing most people already know so why go with 30 inches? I have seen longer ones at a former shop....

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If you work in a town with a substantial German population, does the German soccer match in the World Cup count as local content?

One place I worked was like that, and after the US got eliminated, I'd run all the Germany matches on the section front. Actually had a reader email to say they appreciated that.

Draft saved Draft deleted