1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local Blogs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MidwestSportsGuy, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Just wondering how everyone approaches their newspaper blogs. What kind of content, short or long posts, frequency of updates, breaking news or loose observations.

Basically, I try and update our blog daily (admittedly a sometimes unattainable goal) but I wouldn't argue if someone told me our blog was useless. Often, our (most often mine) posts are nothing more than rambling columns with little substance. I do try and pass along notes of interest: I.E. coaching hires, college signings, game changes, etc. But I'm still searching for that format that appeals to and attracts readers. I go to a handful of other paper's blogs, and honestly, haven't found anything that really stands out (the Star Tribune has a pretty solid one ... Randball, I believe).

What works, what doesn't?

I've had absolutely no advice from the higher-ups concerning blogs. Well, unless you count "We're starting a sports blog and you will update it every day with unique information or risk termination," as advice. I kid.

So a little help from fellow "sportsjournalists.comers" would be welcomed. Or perhaps links to outstanding blogs.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

As a writer of one and a reader of several at my shop, I find that the best blogs are used for occasional game updates mid-game but mostly for short, quick-hit, noteworthy types of things with a little bit of color and wit mixed in.

We had a guy who would constantly blog about his travel follies during the basketball season - and he had a lot, meaning he was either someone you wouldn't want to travel with or he's a better storyteller than he lets on - and it was a rousing success that led to others copying the recipe.

Unless you're in a highly-competitive market, with a highly-competitive beat, blogs won't be used for much other than stuff that didn't make the paper.

Though I do admit that they're an incredible tool to have - especially when you have a following and news breaks.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

more answers here

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/57185/

Draft saved Draft deleted