1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LOC to preserve "Satisfaction"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, Mar 6, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

By NATASHA T. METZLER,
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - They say a picture is worth a thousand words. But what about an original sound recording? Twenty-five culturally important recordings — including an episode of "The Lone Ranger," President Franklin D. Roosevelt's address to Congress the day after the Pearl Harbor attack and one of the Rolling Stones' most famous songs — were selected Tuesday for preservation in a special sound archive.

Every year the Librarian of Congress chooses a variety of sound recordings to include in the National Recording Registry. The recordings are nominated by members of the public and a panel of music, sound and preservation experts, the library's National Recording Preservation Board.

The panel also aids the librarian in selecting what recordings to add to the archive.

The board's coordinator, Steve Leggett, said its goal is to ensure that historically or aesthetically important recordings are preserved for future generations.

"A lot of recordings have disappeared over the years," Leggett said.

Congress created the registry in 2000. With the new recordings, the entire archive will feature 225 fragments of sound.

The board is accepting nominations of recordings that are at least 10 years old for the 2007 registry.

"We really encourage members of the public to nominate, because they can come up with some very different possibilities," Leggett said.

He noted that last year two public nominations were included in the registry — recordings of a foghorn in the Midwest and a high school marching band from Modesto, Calif., playing Beethoven in a competition.

The 2006 additions to the registry are:

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Velvet Underground And Nico?!!? OVERRATED! CLAP, CLAP, CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!

Now if they had chosen Loaded, they would have been on to something.

And did they choose Paul Simon's Graceland to simultaneously preserve Ladysmith Black Mombaza for posterity and the music of choice of late 80s band nerds or are those things mutually exclusive?

That album sucks worse than Coca-Cola clothes.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Coca-Cola has clothes?

4. This thread will not end well for Rush fans.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So LOC preserved "Satisfaction"? I thought he preserved "Janie's Cryin'" and "Hot Blooded" quite well.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Did the LOC preserve Tone Loc? My choice would be the lesser known Cheeba Cheeba.

"Excuse me a minute while I call time, to take a big hit in the middle of this rhyme."

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

See, I was on the verge of suggesting the same thing. But this isn't a time for B-sides and lesser hits. If you're keeping an archive of America's most important sounds, you MUST have Funky Cold Medina in there. Not even a question.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

No Prancing Billy? Travesty.

Draft saved Draft deleted