1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LLWS 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Heck, I remember when it was just the championship game on Wide World of Sports.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Essentially, the Europe and "MEA" teams are two extra American teams. But while the U.S. teams only have to beat other U.S. teams to make the finals, the Europe and MEA teams are stuck having to play international powehouses in pool play. And those kids aren't going to be finishing ahead of Japan, Taiwan, the Carribean team or Mexico any time soon.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Throw in Puerto Rico, and there are essentially 11 American teams at the LLWS this year.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Washington seems to have recoverd quite nicely.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I looked up at a TV at lunch today and saw that Hawaii was winning 6-4, with one hit, and Ohio had not committed any errors.

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

So the title game will be Hawaii against Japan. I can think of a headline or two that could get me suspended.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No kidding. Nice to see Waipio come all the way back after losing the first game. Much harder to do in double elimination as opposed to pool play. It would be the league's second world title in three years, which is just incredible, especially considering it has to come through the toughest regional, the West. Only one on par U.S.-wise would be Long Beach (led by Sean Burroughs) winning back-to-back titles in 1992 and 1993, though 1992 was awarded by forfeit, but it won back-to-back U.S. titles.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Several photos on the AP wire of the Texas MILF squad.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

We'll have to wait for the result, but I assume the operative word will be "bomb."

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A Divine Win would work.

11. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

I covered the 2003 NJ State Championship. The YES Network came to televise the title game, but they could only stay one day (tourney started Saturday, YES came for the Tuesday game), so since the team from the loser's bracket won, YES didn't stick around to cover the "if necessary" winner-take-all final.

I'm not sure the game broadcast was ever used. I don't think it was going to be live. Jim Leyritz did the color commentary. His only concern was how far of a drive it was to Atlantic City, as he was headed there immediately after the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted