1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Living with gout

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jul 26, 2007.

1. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The most common amino acid/protein that we ingest and make is purine. It gets metabolized in to uric acid, most of which is excreted by the body in the bowel and urine. In some people (genetics play a role), the uric acid metabolism is messed up and blood levels rise. When a gout attack occurs, the uric acid crystallizes along cartilage in joints that are maximally stressed. Common joints are 1st metatarsal phalangeal joint in the great toe area, where walking push off occurs, the ankle, occasionally the knee, the hands and wrists. These crystals cause the joint to become inflamed. Inflammation hallmarks include pain, swelling, warmth and redness.

Sometimes, it is hard to decide if the inflammed joint is due to gout or due to an infection and a diagnostic tap of the joint with a needle to withdraw fluid for analysis is done. Aside from infection, another potential diagnosis is pseudogout, which is caused by calcium pyrophosphate crystals.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

First hit me on Easter Sunday 2001. My right ankle was swollen and hurt like hell. We went to a family dinner where my wife's cousin, who is a doctor, looked at it and said it looked like a strained ligament. Went to my family doctor the next day and got the same diagnosis. Pain went away in a few days and I thought nothing more of it.

A few months later it got me in the big toe on my right foot. Looked the same and felt the same as before so I knew this was no ligament thing. Did a little digging on WebMD and all the symptoms pointed to gout. Went back to the doctor who confirmed it and gave me some anti-inflammatories which worked great.

I've had it a couple of times since, most recently in my right big toe again last September.

3. Drugs are not the answer...stop eating any and all red meats for about 90 days...that will do the trick every time and you should not have to "live with it."

Draft saved Draft deleted