1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Living with depression

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, Feb 29, 2012.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm curious about this myself. Some of the more depressed people I know are tokers, yet some of the happiest people I know smoke.

2. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Truly, depression isn't an easy thing to avoid these days.

A lot of the world is joyless. You have to work hard to find joy, create joy. Finding reasons to be depressed is easy, be it on TV or experiencing it in your pocketbook, or just experiencing it in your community.
    We had a yard sale yesterday. I bet there wasn't anybody that came by that wasn't at or near the poverty level. What the hell is wrong with this world? I ask that often. And, pardon the hacking remark on politics, but I don't think anyone "up there" really gives a shit about the darker side. You can isolate yourself from it there, save for the job of a politician to comfort those who lose lives through the service to our country.

Yeah, there's starving people in Africa. But you don't have to go there to see sadness these days.

I just hope that the faith I have that in the beginning was a creator fulfills itself in a heaven that "wipes every tear away." Then may it all make sense.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Two solid candidates for experimental drug therapy right there.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying, but this still seems to come far to close to the bit about telling depressed people to cheer up. In many cases, it isn't about the world being a depressing place at all. Way too many people posting on this thread don't seem to get that.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

good luck.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

you might be right. maybe you should start by gargling some my bodily fluids to see if i have a chemical imbalance or something.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

All yours, champ.
    Seek help if the taste seems off.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

come on, champ. you're the resident sample taker. i hear you're a real pro.

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I take meds for my depression and I think they help tremendously.

And 30OF, go eat a dick.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i'm not attempting to be invasive and shit, and if i am, tell me to piss off. but who's suggesting electo?

11. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Not a lot of people use electro anymore. I'd only do that if the doctor had no other suggestions and you were OK with it. Not trying to tell you what to do, but just my opinion.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Electroshock therapy has actually been making something of a comeback the last few years.

www.nytimes.com/2011/01/24/business/24shock.html?_r=1&ref=health

Federal regulators are weighing whether to downgrade the risk classification of electroshock devices, reinforcing what many psychiatrists consider a deepening acceptance of electroshock in modern therapy.

www.mayoclinic.com/health/electroconvulsive-therapy/MY00129/DSECTION=why-its-done

Draft saved Draft deleted