1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Living with depression

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Then there is no point to discussing it, yet there have been many threads on this. Why dismiss what 3OctaveFart says, just because we want to put the word "depression" into a little box that only covers a certain set of circumstances?

Depression could mean something different to every individual.

The experiences of an individual who cannot pay their bills, who just lost their job and has a family to feed . . . are they any less valid than those of someone who has been diagnosed as having clinical depression and is told to go on medication?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That happens to me every few months. Lasts about three days, usually. The strangest part is what ends that derailment. It's never good news or a problem being resolved. It's something totally trivial, like getting the best parking spot at the grocery store. Then things refocus, at least for me.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe we can all agree that there's a difference between 'clinical depression' as defined by a qualified medical professional, and a temporary bout of melancholy or the blues.

And that the 'treatment' for each might vary.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was part of my point. Fart boy wasn't making that distinction at all. I don't think you did, either, with your previous comments about suicide.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Co-sign.

But when "the blues" happen, they can sure feel like full-blown depression.

Fair enough.

6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I interviewed David Feherty recently, who's had his own battles with depression and mental illness. One of his quotes to me was, "Telling someone with depression to cheer up is like telling someone with cancer to, 'Hey, walk off that tumor.'"

7. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I agree with this. It's not always as easy as you think. The mind can play a lot of tricks on you if you let it. I fall victim to this an awful lot.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You guys know I'm a relentlessly logical dork about everything, including this.

Yes, what I had was clinical depression. I know the symptoms and I know exactly what I felt. I didn't go to a doctor, but I was darn close and I Dr. Googled the hell out of it.

I'm pretty much positive what I had was an incident of stress-induced sudden onset depression. I have a lot more stress in my life right now than I like to admit, and I'm a male in my early 30s, which is a prime age for such an incident. The incident lasted roughly three weeks, which is on the low end but within normal range for first incidents of sudden-onset depression (they tend to last anywhere from two weeks to six months).

I took St. John's Wort because there is some good evidence behind it, and I tried to make myself eat right and exercise more. It'd be easy to tell myself that it went away so quickly because of those things that I did, but mostly I think I was just lucky.

It's gone now and may it never come back. I got another awesome stress-blow this week, but I seem to be taking it rather well. I'm sad, but I'm not depressed. And now I know the difference from experience.

9. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

You're right that experience in dealing with (and overcoming) things does help. You know how to lessen the impact and shorten the amount of time it affects you.
    Like you, I had a pretty bad stress-blow this week and am having some trouble dealing with it, but I'm just trying to remember that it's not forever and that things will get better.

10. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I wasn't speaking to you, little man.
    I made my points very clearly.
    They might not toe the party line around here.
    I do not give a shit.
    Read. Think. Assess.
    You don't get to jump into a debate and distill someone's argument into the most boiled-down crap imaginable.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yep. Ridiculous and offensive. The writhing is unbecoming? You must be joking 3OF.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This isn't about party line. This is about you being so wrong and insensitive on this topic that it is offensive to anybody who has truly battled depression or had a love one deal with the issue.

You don't get to choose who responds to your posts around here, either. It's about time you learned that.

Draft saved Draft deleted