1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Living out a fantasy ... well, for one line at least

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Nov 22, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

OK, so I'm at a local bar where a band is performing a lot of covers.

As a bit of background, I'm such a regular at this bar that I haven't paid a cover charge there in over a year. I know about 90 percent of the staff including servers, bar backs, bartenders, bouncers and managers. A couple of them even treat me as one of their own. I've been known to pay for three beers and end up getting three shots (or more) for free.

Anyway, the aforementioned band's a three-piece with a bassist, a guitarist and a drummer, along with a lead vocalist whose stage presence is like me on crack. I hear the band covering Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love," so I go down to the front of the stage and jump around, play air guitar, etc.

All cool. The next song this band does is "Born To Be Wild." And wouldn't you know it, toward the end of the song, the lead vocalist puts the mic in front of ME to sing a line "born to be wild." It was one of those moments that came so unexpectedly that I didn't have time to form my "oh shit" response and get nervous. I just sang the line. Once I got done, I was thinking daaaaammmnnnnn!

That's my "I just sang with a band" story and I'm stickin' to it!
  2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This really, really scares me :D
  3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

Haven't done the local bars here - no point. Last time I did one, a nice couple was doing some folksy/mellow sort of stuff.

The fact that I knew who wrote "Cecelia" almost astounded them. It was worth a free drink. Since the place didn't charge for soda, a friend was very grateful.

In addition, I don't see a band playing a certain track that will allow me to add "But if you don't stand up, you don't stand a chance."
  4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago.

I was at a concert for Andrew WK (Maybe you've heard of him, I don't know. He was popular a few years ago and then fell off the face of the planet.)

The show was at a pretty decent size concert and was getting wild. With about two songs left to go, he screams out "Everybody on stage!" and about 200 of us did just that.

I, along with about six other people, went to the guitar guy and we were all singing into the mic. It was sweet.

Hmm. I wonder whatever happened to that guy.
  5. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Scurred? You should be. :D
Draft saved Draft deleted