1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Living in this sort of state??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Nov 8, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well-said.

And the fact of the matter is, MU hasn't said what he believes or where he lives. But I know the feeling -- I never felt like there was much tolerance for someone with my admittedly liberal views when I lived among people like the rodeo director in "Borat."

Yes, you must learn to get along with people whose opinions are different. But you also have the freedom, in this country, to live wherever you choose.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

True. But if you choose to do that, then don't try to push your ideals onto others if you're not willing to accept them doing that to you. It's only fair.

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

And you've jumped to conclusions from your first little eye roll, assuming that MU just doesn't want to live in a state where there are a few people who don't think like him. How do you know any of that? Wait, don't answer, I've got it: you don't. So instead of using MU's desire to find a more balanced climate as juuuuust another conservative talking point, why don't you leave well enough alone? And by the way, it's pretty fucking hard to make the case for someone being intolerant when they simply want to leave where they live. If you lived in my corner of the world (the bluest shade of Massachusetts), I wouldn't blame you for at least wanting to find a place where you could fly your Confederate, I mean conservative, flag proudly.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

How is he pushing his ideals on anyone?

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Giving pallister waaaayyyyyyy more credit than he deserves here, but I'm guessing he meant that MU is openly liberal on this board (which translates to oppressively liberal in the whackos'* minds), but if he doesn't like being in a non-liberal state, he shouldn't be so liberal here.

Just a little more bang-your-head-on-the-table-until-it-goes-blissfully-numb logic from the Rabid Righty Brigade.

(*-it should be noted that I do not use the term "whackos" as a substitute for conservatives. There are several open conservatives on this site that I like a whollllllee lot more than several open liberals. PDB and Junkie would be prime examples of the non-whackos)

6. What would your reaction be if I said "I can't stand living in San Francisco with all these liberals anymore"? You'd tell me to fuck myself, and rightly so.

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Personally, I'd tell you to get the fuck out of San Francisco so you don't get the gay on you. Why the hell do I care where you live?

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Again, I'm a liberal because I believe in stem cell research? Quite a generalized statement; then again -- probably has nothing to do with the Alzheimer’s going on in my family.

So yeah, I ask again.

Pallister: Have I tried to push my ideals? Pretty sure I haven't. I have met someone here I'd take a bullet for in a matter of months.

Buckweaver: I have done a great job trying to get along with people here. And I feel I do a great job getting along with people. But often times, I feel overwhelmed. Is there a way to balance out feeling that way?

9. pallister

pallister Guest

First, Mert, you're a complete idiot.

Second, I don't care what his political beliefs are. But it's ignorant and simple-minded to think you can spend your life shielded from people who don't agree with you.

Third, that's not at all what I mean. I don't remember MU being involved in many political threads. The only reason you jumped on this is because the timing of my initial post came right after Lyman's. I wasn't responding to him. I was responding to the idea that wanting to surround yourself with people that agree with you is ridiculous, no matter what your political views. It's never gonna happen.

Bubbler: I'm not addressing him specifically, I'm just saying that if you want to liv such an insulated life, you've got no business expecting people to adapt to you. More of a general statement on a specific worldview.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I would never abandon my beloved home state, even after it was hijacked, pistol-whipped and left for dead by some of the most intolerant kooks in Christendom. You have to look at it like 0.9 of every two people you see on the street still have the same values that you do.

11. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Thanks for the complete remark. I'm glad to see I'm not just a half an idiot.

Also, where exactly did MU say anything regarding surrounding himself with like-minded people? I keep looking, and my well-trained copy editing eyes aren't seeing anything like, "God, I just wish I could live with ALL stem-cell supporters," "Man, if I don't find a bar completely full of people who voted the same way as me, I'm gonna lose it."

Just you cons stretching out your victim muscles, eh? Gonna be a long two (at least) years of pretending to be put upon. Wouldn't want to pull anything.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

And by here, I meant where I live -- not SJ. Although I've met some people here I consider great friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted