1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Living in BFE: A Primer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cadet, Jul 10, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You'll find plenty of rich people with small minds in BFE, though.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's not, 21. Not even close.

Last year, I took my stepfather to see a longtime friend and his wife - the friend predates my existence on this Earth, much less before he met my mother - in northwest Ohio. Town has maybe 400 people. Enjoyed a great week just winding down, seeing the smile on my stepfather's face, talking with his friend, a truly good guy and genuine live wire ... and snuck about three hours across the state to FINALLY see the Pro Football Hall of Fame. We did go to a classic car museum, take in a couple of meals at chain places within 20-30 mile area but otherwise it was highly enjoyable.

I wouldn't trade that getaway for almost anything. Except for going to school, I've never really been a permanent part of a major metropolitan area. But I've never really been a big part of a small, small, rural area. Somehow, I think I'd like it, too.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's an addiction.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I think you're right...but it would be worth it to hear the commotion when the Jewish sports broad and her big Irish boyfriend pull into town in a yellow H2.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Plenty of poor people too.

It never ceases to amaze me when people brag about the fact they're from a particular town and they've never been anywhere else or "I went to (insert big city name here) and I don't care if I ever go back."

or

"Why would I want to live in (insert big city name here)? I've got everything I need right here."

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why would that amaze you? Many people really do prefer living in a small town and not always for snobbish reasons.

Maybe they really do have everything they need in a little town -- family, friends, good schools for their kids, parks, places to buy their gas, groceries and other amenities.

I live in a small city with a population of just over 21,000. Six generations of my family have lived here and I'm proud to have such deep roots in this community.

8. TrooperBari

Some people don't want to ruin an already idyllic existence by pursuing a different life that may or may not be better. Nothing wrong with that, just so long as they don't look down on other people who want more in their life and/or have a terminal case of wanderlust.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Don't forget to enjoy the racism.

10. Plenty of poor people too.

It never ceases to amaze me when people brag about the fact they're from a particular town and they've never been anywhere else or "I went to (insert big city name here) and I don't care if I ever go back."

On the flip side of that, once in BFE some dude took his family to see an NFL game in the nearest city with an NFL team (500 miles) away.  He brought in a blurry Polaroid of his family at the stadium and wanted the pic to run with a feature story on the fact that he went to a pro football game....

11. TrooperBari

And the stereotypes.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

As a public service to my SportsJournalists.com brethern and sistern living in BFE, here you go:

3B Pete Rose
    2B Joe Morgan
    C Johnny Bench
    LF George Foster
    1B Tony Perez
    RF Ken Griffey
    CF Cesar Geronimo
    SS Dave Concepcion
    P Don Gullett

This also works if you need to keep your mind occupied for anything else, too. If you need more time, you can recite batting average, home runs, RBI or any combination thereof.

Draft saved Draft deleted