1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Living in BFE: A Primer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cadet, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Same here. But I have also heard butt fuck egypt

Urban Dictionary link

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Thus proving that everything in Canada is similar to the U.S. Except much less funny. And dumber.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, good, the cretins are everywhere today.

First Bobblehead, now you.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I always heard it as "East Bumfuck." :-\

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Were you in a Muslim town?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think that's in New Jersey.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Same here...
    And Cadet, I feel for ya.. Did that same thing in Minnesota -- except there was lots of beer within walking distance, which helped immensely

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Which is the great thing about BFE in the Upper Midwest. There is always at least two bars.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Around here we've always called it "Buttfuck, Idaho." Sorry Modaho. :)

My hometown didn't go wet until 1972 or 1973. In its heyday it used to be a rip-roaring place nicknamed "Corkscrew City" until prohibition. Its reputation then made it a target of the temperance folks who kept at it so long that the nickname eventually changed to "Dry Gulch."

Every election, the question was on the ballot -- wet or dry? The temperance forces were probably vastly outnumbered but they always staged a big campaign and got every vote they possibly could while the drinkers didn't really care one way or the other -- there was a bootlegger on every corner and they could always get whatever they wanted. On top of that, there were several other "wet" towns just outside the city limits and drinking and driving wasn't the big sin that it is now.

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

If by "Muslim" you mean hardshell Southern Baptist, then yes. There was one fairly small Catholic church, but the rest was all Protestant. The county was 90% white, but the town had a little bit more diversity. My favorite thing ever is that the weekly paper there had a full page ad for a local pharmacy, and they were showing all the guns you could buy at the pharmacy. And there were photos of this cute high school girl who worked as a cashier there, holding a shotgun. That's something you don't see in Berkley or Cambridge, Mass.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

The reason they stay dry is mostly business, partly a nod to their religious roots. Since the liquor store has sat just the other side of the county line for so many years (since OUR county doesn't endorse that one-way road to H-E-double toothpicks), old man Franklin has made himself quite a nice living. And if we allowed the demon's drink to be sold in our county, well, not only would our way a'life go down the tubes but Franklin would have competition and those nasty, beer-stained dollars would be spread too thin.

That's the explanation I was given for why Lubbock, Texas, confines its liquor stores to a strip just outside the city limits, and why Lubbock County's commissioners wouldn't let one of its outlying communities go wet. I grant that the "county" reference in the above anecdote doesn't allow for cities like Lubbock but you get the point. Never mind that Lubbock has enough bars to keep Otis drunk 24/7.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I loves me any woman who knows how to take care of herself. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted