1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Livestrong Sporting Park

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 8, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

KC's new soccer stadium has done a unique naming rights deal:

Thoughts?

Is the branding & good will worth foregoing the revenue they could have received in a traditional deal?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The fact they signed this deal tells me there was nothing to forego because nobody wanted the naming rights.

3. YankeeFan

I was going to mention that.

But, they could have put their own name on it then without Livestrong and focused solely on their own brand.

To do this, they have to believe the brand association will benefit them. It's not a purely charitable move. Maybe they think it will open doors to additional sponsors.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Like so much about Lance Armstrong, there's more (or maybe less?) to Livestrong than meets the eye:

http://www.charitywatch.org/articles/cancer.html

The Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF), founded by the champion bicyclist and cancer survivor of the same name, is celebrating its 10-year anniversary this year. Wouldn’t you think a charity that receives massive publicity for having one of the most popular causes and most admired celebrities as the face of the organization would be able to easily raise lots of money? Unfortunately this is not the case. LAF spent as much as $45 to raise each $100, exceeding AIP’s 35% recommended fundraising ceiling by a significant margin. While LAF had difficulty raising contributions efficiently, it did prove to be a savvy merchandise marketer. LAF sold over $24 million in merchandise, including the ubiquitous yellow “LIVESTRONG” wristband, as well as clothing, sports gear and even dog leashes. Yet after spending $10 million in solicitation costs, the group brought in only $22 million in contributions, according to AIP’s analysis of LAF’s 2005 financial statements.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Best name since Enron Field.

Was Steroid Park taken?

6. YankeeFan

You know, it's an interesting point.

If Armstrong's reputation continues to suffer, does the value of associating yourself with his charity also suffer? I've got to think so.

7. Mizzougrad96

Maybe it shows how little the public cares about the SI article... I'd want nothing to do with that guy.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Livestrong Sporting Park?

Meh.

Nothing to Crow about.

9. Mizzougrad96

Neither is the cheater it's named after.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got to think there are some huge tax benefits to this - ala the PGA Tour.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well played Mauer.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I thought NIKE owned the rights to LIVESTRONG.

I know Lance and NIKE are still hooked up with each other......but I thought LIVESTRONG was NIKE's.

Draft saved Draft deleted