1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lively discussion on media coverage of NASCAR lawsuit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Speedway

Speedway Member

The Daily Planet blog has inspired a lively discussion on the coverage of the NASCAR lawsuit. Be sure to read the comments following the story. Curious to hear opinions on the "responsibilities" of the NASCAR beat media to cover this story as well as the potential mainstream coverage that many are anticipating.

http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/2008/07/tv-partners-strangely-quiet-where-grant.html

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Don't know why this is bothering me, but her shirt in that photo on the blog has her last name with two Ts, but all the stories have it with one T. So, she wore a company shirt with her name spelled wrong?!
    -------

This is an interesting topic because as the media, you do have to be fair, knowing there are two sides to this story and you should report it as such.
    On the other hand, I'm sure there are some facts that could be uncovered if an investigative journalist were to attack this story. ... I just don't see a regular member of the NASCAR media having enough time to dig into this story and still cover 36 races and silly season.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

David Poole commented on the piece and has been skewered.

These posters want 60 Minutes and 20/20 to do something, yet do not realize they don't just snap fingers and produce a story like this for airing in a week or two. I guess they could but something this in-depth would take time and cooperation from one or both of the parties.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Good catch. I wonder if the fine people at NASCAR purposely misspelled her name.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's also not spelled Muricia, as it is on that shirt.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't feel newspaper/internet writers have looked the other way on this story, but tv/radio "partners" are often just that with NASCAR.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Didn't CBS have an issue during the NCAA tourney this year or last, where it basically stuck its head in the sand to appease the NCAA

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Far be it from me to defend ESPN, but it is a partner and did an interview with her that aired on SportsCenter tonight.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Correct. ESPN has often handled touchy issues on sports it regularly airs. But I can't picture, say, Chris Myers and Waltrip having an informed discussion on this on the pre-race gigglefest on FOX, and the next negative discussion I hear on MRN/PRN radio will be the first.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Negative discussion on MRN is any discussion that doesn't include a sponsor name in every other sentence.

11. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

They also aired it Thursday (granted, as filler) during what was going to be the Nationwide practice broadcast.

Draft saved Draft deleted