1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LIVE from the DMV........Its Chef.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 20, 2019.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Our DMV opens at 8 a.m. or 8:30 a.m., can't remember which. When I have to go, I get there 30 minutes before opening and generally there are only 1-2 other people waiting. I'll gladly wait in my car for 30 minutes for it to open to be in and out in 10 minutes.

Same with the local Social Security office, although the one time I visited I still had to wait about 30 minutes even though I was No. 4 or 5 in line.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fuck you.
    Lol

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Not going to lie, the build up to this pic only to have a broken jpg was more than disappointing

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Half!

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Appointment.

License Express.

In and out / under 20 minutes.

Zoom.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I did this a year and a half ago. The one near Penn Station. I don't think I had an appointment. I showed up before they opened, and there was a little line out front., and I started to anticipate the worst.

They opened, and it was pretty orderly, people filing in, keeping the line intact to check in and get their numbers.

But immediately, they realized the computer system to get people to the windows wasn't working. .. .and all hell was about to break loose. ... when this squat woman who worked there, with a loud voice and a Brooklyn accent that said, "Don't fuck with me" stepped forward and totally corralled the situation.

She started giving people numbers manually, and one by one said, "You sit here, you sit here, you sit here." And set up a system by whch there were two sections for the different transactions people were there for, and when the person next in line left their seat, everyone moved over a seat. .. so you were snaking through the rows of seats until you were up for the next window.

I was in and out in less than a half hour. I heaped praise on the woman on the way out and she basically told me to STFU, that's what she does.

For the Federal ID license, I came well armed. ... passport, a social security card, a birth certificate and a bunch of bills. It wasn't bad.

Azrael and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Wow. I bet that was comical and almost fun.

And that lady - she sounds almost like she could be a good message board moderator.

I’m joking - don’t you guys take that personally. I don’t know if any of you are squat.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

God bless New York, and New Yorkers.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't know what happened.
    It was on here for a bit.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If I was still in Arizona, my license wouldn't be expiring for another 17 years.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I remember standing in the checkout line buying groceries at a Super Wal-Mart. A woman walked past me, and in her tramp stamp spot above her low rider jeans she had, I shit you not, the Biohazard trefoil. I just started laughing. I wanted so badly to get a picture of this ultimate fail tattoo, but all my groceries were on the checkout belt and there was someone in front of me. I mean, what the hell possessed the woman to declare her nether regions a biohazard site?

upload_2019-11-21_6-50-49.png

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Renewals happen at 0 and 5 birthdays. The last time I went, there was a woman who kept demanding they take her picture over and over and over. They do ask you if you're happy with the photo. I don't know how long she'd been there, but they worked her in after taking care of four or five people. They'd take her picture, she'd hate it, then they'd tell her to wait while they took care of other photos, rinse and repeat.

I first noticed her while I was seated. She had her back to me and was bouncing up and down as she tapped the counter while she addressed the Homeland Security lady in a voice that was pure Upcountry lisping nasal twang that just missed being audible only to dogs.

"I'm sorry. This is awful. It won't do. You have to take this again."

The lady doing the pictures was being polite and patient. She was actually pretty kind. Still, she stood her ground and sighed as she told her they needed to let some other folks get their IDs done and get on with their days.

"Really?" The lady cocked her head to the side, causing her fluffy, blonde pigtails to floof out. They seemed to have lives of their own. "Really? You can't just..."

"No. Please have a seat and I'll call you up here again."

The man sitting next to me was enjoying the drama, possibly for different reasons. Our girl wore leggings, tall riding boots, and a chambray shirt tied at the waist. She was short, wiggly, and had what my Best Gay Boyfriend would call a buttery figure. My neighbor looked disappointed as she started to sit down. Then she changed her course and planted herself next to the place where we had to stand to get our mug shots taken and stared at each person who took the position and smiled at the blue dot.

She did not move. She was not going to move until she had a picture she liked.

When it was my turn, I walked to the backdrop. Baby shifted from foot to foot and sighed. I smiled at her. She- Okay, this board is mostly men, so you might not be familiar with this gesture. Baby looked me up and down. This is an intimidation tactic intended to make the person looked upon feel insecure about their appearance.* Sorry for the digression. That was when I realized something that flew by everyone who had not seen her face yet. This was not some southern fried pouter pigeon of a teen with debutante-ish delusions getting her first driver's license. This woman was my age. I gasped and went into former-verger-clasped-hands-mode when I saw this and the photographer lady had to ask me to put my hands down.

Here's the thing: She was pretty. Without the makeup and the weird hair, she would have turned heads nearly anywhere. Instead, she look like Donna Douglas still glamming it up as Ellie Mae Clampett at one of those nostalgia conventions.

All I felt at that point was sad for her.

The pitcher lady asked me if I was happy with my ID shot. Yes, I was. It's one of the most flattering photos I've had on any kind of laminate. It looks like me, only better. It also looks like the middle-aged woman I am. I'll take it. I hope Ellie Mae eventually left the DMV happy.

*Stu Grimson once tried the middle school "You're so ugly you hurt my eyes" thing on me and I stared him down while talking to him like the adult he wasn't. No, baby. That doesn't work on me.

Azrael, Iron_chet and Baron Scicluna like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted