1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Live from (next door to) the Flora-Bama

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Del_B_Vista, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

This would be a prime evening for a "Ask Drunk DBV" nights, but I doubt I spend much time at the laptop later on. But I'm with three friends in the condos next door to the Flora-Bama, here enjoying my hiatas from the sports world with an actual Labor Day vacation. We're here for three days, so if somebody wants a T-shirt or a vial of sand, just ask.

I'm sure I'll be too drunk to carry out such requests, but feel free to ask. I might hook a brother or sister up.

2. DBV --
    What's the mullet count so far?

3. Del_B_Vista

Well, it's not Mullet Toss weekend, but I saw a few in the bar last night. Not as many as I might have expected. More frat-boy haircuts and a bunch of Naval officer candidates shaved heads. (The latter brought back memories -- mostly good -- of my days in OCS back in Newport.) I did see more silicone on display than at a high-tech convention.

I write this from the balcony of our condo overlooking a glorious beach scene. Having a great time, wish you were here.

4. Not a problem, DBV.
    I can smell that combination of Coppertone, MGD, and animal musk from here.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I didn't think there was anything left of the Flora-Bama. Is it put back together (at least as well as it was before?)

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Start a rumor that Jim Cantore's going to be there Monday morning.

7. Del_B_Vista

This is my first trip, so I'll have to describe what's left. The decks by the beach are still there, two levels worth. There's a little bit of a building left, but much of what was closer to the road is gone. The restroom facilities are port-o-lets and the fancier trailer-full-o-toilets. They've got the band on a stage outside (although there's a smaller stage inside) under a tent. Beer is $3, healthy sized shots of Jager cost $5 and burned the hair off my chest. There's a concert tomorrow featuring Larue, fine singers of New Orleans Lady, I believe. I think it's 15 bucks, but the cover last night was 2.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I was down there earlier this summer, and it's amazing how you can still see the effects of Ivan in 2004 on that part of the Gulf Coast.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is there still a picture of 2underpar over the urinal?

10. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

When I was there in June, we watched not one, not two, not three, but four sorority types go into one of the oversized Porta-A-Johns together. They came out feeling no pain about 5 minutes later.

Visit my buddy at the Tiki Hut while you're in the O.B., DVB.

11. Del_B_Vista

No urinals anymore, just spooky dark port-o-lets, although I didn't go in the toilet trailer. Guess they could have put it up in there.

And I'll try to give Tiki Hut a visit.

12. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Sadly, Gulf Shores just passed a law forcing all establishments to close by 2 (it might even be 1:30 p.m.) So no more 5 a.m. nights/mornings at The Keg. God I miss that place.

Draft saved Draft deleted