1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Live from Hollywood: Democratic Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jan 31, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think simply a puppet question. I thought from their body language neither was even considering the possiblity.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That has never, to my knowledge, been a campaign issue. You mean like GWB mobilized Democrats in '04.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

You may wish to acquaint yourself with knowledge of the ballot in states like Ohio in 2004.

Rove got gay marriage on the ballot in some states, the GOP base in those key states was mobilized, and we got "Four More Years!" of this disaster.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

That wasn't a debate, that was a love fest, particularly compared to the GOP debate one night earlier.

5. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

When he joined the People's Front of Judea

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

There could not be a more perfect place for the debate. If the Kodak Theatre had a conference center adjoining it then they could make it the permanent home to the DNC. Sick, sick television.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The Democrats have done their share of bickering, but one thing is very clear.

When either of these Democratic candidates sits down to talk policy, they can skate figure eights around anyone on the GOP stage.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Perfectly clear to you.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Pall, it's perfectly clear to anyone who's watching.

That isn't to say you agree with their policy stances, but as far as elucidating those stances and the reasoning behind them, it really isn't close.

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Zeke's right. I said it above, I'm more moderate. I'm not a hard-core Democrat.

But the Democrats have done a much better job presenting their stances on policies and issues than the GOP candidates, regardless of whether or not I agree with them. Clinton and Obama are both more eloquent and well-spoken, and both are better off the cuff. It's easy to see that the debate format will favor either of the Democratic candidates, especially if it sticks to policy issues.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You didn't say anything about gay marriage. A different issue entirely than sodomy laws, which is what you implied mobilized republicans.

12. My goodness, there's a hair lying in two halves right here at my feet.
    Yes, the conservative argument against gay marriage always has been that it complicates property rights and not what men might do with their wee-wees.

Draft saved Draft deleted