1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Live from Hollywood: Democratic Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jan 31, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

McCain as the Republican nominee is a Democrat's wet dream. The guy is a disaster waiting to happen in the general election. For one thing, the right wing of his party hates him, and it will be hard to get the evangelicals out to the polls for him in big numbers. Second of all, McCain is a ticking time bomb. He gets agitated easily, he can be extremly snarky (just look at last night's debate) and his temper will turn off a lot of voters when he goes head-to-head with smoother and younger characters like Obama and Clinton.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing Clinton needs to do is make Obama seem really unprepared for the gig, but he has yet to come off that way.

And for the bizarro-meter, Hannity and Colmes has John Cleese, yes that John Cleese, participating in a focus group of undecided voters watching the debate. Weird.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If Clinton is the nominee, an empty suit with an "R" by his name will get 65 million votes. McCain may get 70 million.

She will mobilize the Republican party like nothing you have seen.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As a lifelong Democrat, I've gotta say that debate made me very, very proud of my party. Haven't felt that way about the Democratic party in a long time.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

When did Cleese get citizenship?

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

No replay at 11 Eastern (instead, a report on health care).
    No mention of a replay later either.

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Wrong. Nothing mobilizes Republicans like the idea of preventing gays from fucking.

8. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Both presented well tonight. The one exception was Iraq. Clinton looked awful during that exchange as she tried to explain her vote. I think this was basically a tie, but I think that favors Obama. If you questioned the meat to his message, he delivered some in this discussion.

One other thing, Clinton's line about being the second Clinton to clean up after a Bush got a big laugh. But it reminded me of how sick I am of seeing the same families in the White House.

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I thought both did a very good job tonight. It was almost imperative that they stop the bitching for a little while, just to make sure the party didn't splinter. I thought it seemed like they both realized it.

I'm still a Barack guy, but tonight helped me keep considering Hillary. Unfortunately, my primary likely won't matter at all, but I'll vote anyway. I don't consider myself a hard-core Democrat, but the more I see of each party, the more I'm leaning toward voting Democrat no matter what. I like both candidates and, while I do agree with McCain on some issues, I hate his stance on the war.

What did you all think of the Clinton-Obama or Obama-Clinton ticket question?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I didn't see the debate, but this sums up the spin I'm seeing thus far.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I thought it was a good way for both of them to appear conciliatory to the other without having to commit to anything.

12. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Agreed. But I was angling it more toward the question of possibility. I don't think there's a shot in hell of it happening, but I'm not the most informed guy. Just wondering if it was kind of a puppet question or if it has any merit.

Draft saved Draft deleted