1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Live from Hollywood: Democratic Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jan 31, 2008.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yeah, you are right -- it makes much more sense to continue to allow the government to throw bad money after good in order to "fix" the problems in large part it created with its inane laws and regulations and it makes far more sense to allow the government to increasingly take control of our lives with more regulation and more intrusive policies and more taxes.

Yeah, that makes sense to me.

Both Hillary and Obama spent the entire night telling us all how they would expand the government, make it more expensive and likely less efficient and how each of us wuold have to pay more to make it happen. And the Republicans are not any different, they just promise different ways to expand the government and different goodies to hand out.......

Gee, where do I sign up for that?

2. zagoshe

I disagree 100 percent. If Obama runs he will win because Republicans will have a very weak turnout, no matter who is on their side. If Hillary wins, like someone said, those fat cats will make sure they get out and vote that day.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A few random thoughts on this...

-- Here's the thing about the anti-Hillary sentiment: it's not only the sentiment from the right that Democrats have to worry about. There are plenty on the left and in the middle who don't like her much, either. The ones on the right will vote for McCain (or Romney), the ones on the left just won't vote. I'm hoping to be able to vote for Obama, but I'd really have to hold my nose to vote for Hillary.

-- The more Hillary pushes her universal health care plan the more trouble she's in. Here's the problem: it sounds really nice, but when you get right down to it and look at the details... most people don't really want universal health care. They want their premiums to stop going up exponentially while their coverage shrinks. Fix THAT. There's a reason she got her ass kicked on health care 15 years ago, but she hasn't figured out what it is.

-- I suspect anyone who suggests the Democrats can't possibly lose this election has never seen the party at work in a presidential election. The party that gave me the opportunity to vote for Dukakis, Mondale, Gore and Kerry can fuck this up in a heartbeat. I think they'd have to work pretty hard to lose with Obama, but they could find 8 million different ways to piss this away with Hillary. I'm on the wrong side of 40 and the Democrats have managed to get exactly two men elected in my lifetime, and one was on the coattails of Watergate.

-- I would have an extremely hard time voting for McCain based on his war stance, but it hurts Hillary a bit at the same time, and here's why: she supported it when it was politically expedient to do so, and began to oppose it when it was expedient to do so. Say what you want about McCain, but he sure as shit isn't doing it out of expediency. Now, I believe she was wrong and now she's right, while McCain has been steadfastly wrong the whole time, but she doesn't look particularly good in the process. He at least looks principled.

-- If McCain keeps running stuff like that Hillary banner ad that Lugs posted, he can say goodbye to the independents and anti-Hillary Democrats. I don't like her much, but I dislike campaigning like that even more, and it wipes out what a lot of people find attractive about him in the first place.

4. QED.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

The anti-Hillary segment is a bunch of bullshit. Just because you have people on Faux News talking about it doesn't make it true. It may have been true at one time, but the public has obviously
    Point of clarification. I heard specifically in that debate that people in my tax bracket -- and the tax bracket of most people who use this site, I'm sure -- would not have their taxes increased and that people who make $250,000 and up would go back to pre-Bush levels.

6. But Harry Browne says you're wrong.

7. zagoshe

Oh yeah, and if you believe that horse shit you'll also believe that the public health care plan will be cost efficient, available to all who need it and won't further put a strain on our healthcare system and thus increase the rates for the rest of us who actually work for a living......

And for the next act, the congress is going to get to the bottom of "spygate" in the NFL, that's right after it shows baseball who is boss......

8. Alas for Harry, that was exactly what happened in the 1990's, prior to the economy booming.

Draft saved Draft deleted