1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Live from Afghanistan, it's Saturday night! Or, t_b_f's on the road!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Mar 19, 2010.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well, my friends, the time has come. This evening I'll hop a big gray jet stuffed with helicopters and dudes, bound for Kandahar. After a lengthy layover in Frankfurt, I suspect we'll arrive in country sometime Sunday late night, Afghanistan time.

About three-fourths of my unit is already there, and the reports they send back are OK. That is to say that the living conditions aren't the best, but they're doable. I was assigned to a small group to remain behind and tidy up the shipment of our helicopters to theater (we have more than the unit we're replacing, so we have to take some of ours).

We've been assigned MEDEVAC coverage of the southern portion of Afghanistan, which includes the (mostly desert) Helmand and Kandahar provinces and the mountainous Zabul and Oruzgan regions. Obviously, the toughest part of the battle right now is along the Helmand River, south of a town called Lashkar Gah (think Marjah). I'll split my time (as will most of the other pilots) between Kandahar and the Helmand region, and will keep in touch with you guys through SJ and Facebook.

I'll dig up this thread from time to time and post my thoughts. I'll have internet while in Kandahar, but when at a little Marine camp called Dwyer, I won't (and that could be for a few weeks at a time). When I can, I'll come on and give you guys the scoop, but it may not be as often as I want. I'd like to use this as sort of a BLOG!!!, if Moddy and Lucas don't mind. Just a place to pass on some info, jot down some thoughts, let off some steam or get a quick pick-me-up, I guess.

I'll be on and off throughout the day, today, but mostly off as I'm trying to get a few final errands checked off before I report, so we'll call this my official goodbye for a while.

Later,

Russell

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dude,

Be safe, and know our thoughts are with you. Good luck.

IJAG

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Godspeed.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

tbf--I was going to put this on the Army training thread until I saw this new thread:

Your posts about our military and your experiences in it have always been SJ highlights for me. Thank you for everything you share with us, for the incredible stories and insight most of us will never know first-hand.

Can't wait for the updates. Godspeed to you and your family.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't forget to team up with your brother for volleyball.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Slappy, do you know how much we've practiced?

[​IMG]

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys. I appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Can we get Mrs tbf in here once in a while, just so we know how everyone's doing? Seeing as how we we've been in the delivery room with her?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As long as you two haven't lost that lovin' feelin'

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Russell, stay safe my friend. I'll throw that T-shirt you got me on in your honor today.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Stay safe, t_b_f.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Three Bags be safe. No doubt all of SJ is united is wishing you a safe journey. Look forward to reading your reports.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Good Luck. We all owe you a few beers when you come back.

Draft saved Draft deleted