1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Live blogging of a sporting event

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Apr 24, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There are right ways and wrong ways, boring and informative. I've done it before and I will admit I can improve, but I can also count on one hand the times I've done it.
    But the Freep has hyped this LIVE BLOGGING with this reporter all throughout the playoffs (and the Final Four, where he supposedly did it at home.)
    And, maybe it's just me, but it has to improve to be unimpressive, especially since THEY'VE HYPED HIM ALL DURING THE PLAYOFFS TO LIVE BLOG WITH HIM!
    It adds nothing. No insight. nothing.

Seriously, is it just me who finds this particular event -- that reads like he's following along on TV with everyone else -- needing to improve to be average? Why would the Freep management waste time with a half-hearted effort -- a blog for the sake of blogging?

http://www.freep.com/article/20090423/SPORTS05/90423054/Blog++Wings+complete+sweep

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Eyeballs. Hits. You know, morons.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But it's not just BLOGGING!
    It's BLOGGING WITH THIS GUY!
    They even have a tagline that reads CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THIS GUY'S BLOGGING?

To quote David Lander in League of Their Own, "I have seen enough to know I have seen too much."

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

They've been doing this at the Freep for a while. It's not remotely new. And it is pretty blah.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

First and last time I pay attention. Was completely underwhelmed by the BLOGGING WITH THIS GUY

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head yourself.

It is just blogging for the sake of blogging. And not very well, either. As you said, it adds nothing. It's simply play-by-play, and too much of it, frankly.

I've done quite a bit of live blogging -- none of it even on, or at, a professional event, though -- and every bit of my work was more interesting and insightful, and involved more effort and outside-the-box thinking, perspective and/or opinion or analysis, than any of that stuff.

The paper I did it for, in fact, wouldn't even have accepted or run it if I'd turned in that crap. And I'm glad for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted