1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"littlest shockey" hurting....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, May 3, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

mrs. shockey took alex, 13, to the doc's today when he woke up with a badly swollen knee. doc told her to get to an emergency room, 'cause he wanted an orthopedist to check it out. suspected possible lyme disease, too.

mrs. shockey and alex were in martha's vineyard last weekend. alex admitted this morning he removed a tic while there.

anyway, blood tests inconclusive. mrs. shockey just called, waiting for further word. was told he may need to have knee drained or even some kind of arthroscopic surgery to check out knee. just waiting now.

the wife says alex, a brave, quiet-type, is fine. i'm sure she's going nuts. me, too, helplessly waiting to hear.

thanks for listening, mi amigos.

EDIT: it's not lyme disease. they're draining the knee to check out the fluid and will give him antibiotics. hopefully, alex and mrs. shockey will be headed home within the hour. whew!

2. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Oman, hang in there Shock. I'm sure things will turn out fine. Kids are often a lot stronger mentally than we are in situations like these.
    Keep us posted.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Had my knee drained the other day. Just make sure he doesn't watch them do it. I've had it done twice and made sure not to watch it. Good luck.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks, man. see the most recent edit. whew!! :) :) :)

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks. but really, you didn't watch? i'd think it would be cool. like popping zit. 8) 8) 8)

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Nope. Neither time did I watch. The first time about five years ago, he pulled out a big needle and that was all I needed to see. He jammed it under my kneecap while the nurse pushed down on the knee cap. It actually hurt worse after the first shot (novacaine) wore off. Most recent time, I got a shot of cortisone so there wasn't as much pain when the first shot wore off. Torn meniscus but he thinks it will heal on its own. Maybe you'd watch but I wouldn't recommend a kid do it.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

he didn't watch. wasn't very pleasant, he admitted over the phone. they're waiting for the results but docs don't think there's an infection.

tough little guy finally cried a bit after he passed the phone to his mom. i'm hoping they'll be home within the hour.

damn, i bleed when any of the little shockeys are hurtin'. can't wait to get him home so he can give me a hug. i probably need it more than him.

of course, he's at the age when i tell him i love him over the phone, and if people are around, he'll mutter in a whisper, "uh-you," or something that sounds like that. ;) ;) ;)

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good luck Shockey.

9. beanpole

beanpole Member

good luck, shockey. And don't take any advice from Chef. ...

10. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Excellent news, though the thoughts of the big needle made me a bit queasy. Ugh.
    Well, at least he'll have a cool story to tell his buddies when he sees them. His "tough guy" rating amongst his peers is gonna receive a bump. :)

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

what an effed up deal for mrs. shockey. they're just leaving the hospital NOW!! after almost seven hours!!

littlest shockey is in an immobilizer and on crutches. has to be on motrin for 72 hours and see his doc again tuesday 'cause his white-cell count is a tad high.

wtf? almost 7 hours to have your knee drained?

hospitals/doctors suck. that is all. :mad: :mad: :mad:

i just called one of our best friends and begged her to take mrs. shockey out for a looooong, wine-filled lunch tomorrow. done deal.

12. Pretty standard for an ER on a Saturday night.

Draft saved Draft deleted