1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little things you can't ignore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Wikipedia movie entries really need an editor.

The "plot" listings tell every bleeping thing that happens in a movie. Not only are they filled with spoilers, they are hackily written and boring as hell.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Apparently, after 20 years, I still can't ignore discussion of the Clinton impeachment.

FileNotFound and Baron Scicluna like this.
  4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Fidgeting. I can't stand when I do it and I constantly observe those around me in situations where people are standing or sitting around in groups (silent ones like train platforms and elevators are the best) and notice their little nervous ticks and mannerisms. People can't stay still. The most predictable these days is taking out your cell phone, but folks will do almost anything but stand or sit still.

It all started for me about 10 years ago when I read the section in F. Scott Fitzgerald's "Tender is the Night" where Dick Diver talks about repose:

They were at Voisins waiting for Nicole, six of them, Rosemary, the Norths, Dick Diver and two young French musicians. They were looking over the other patrons of the restaurant to see if they had repose — Dick said no American men had any repose, except himself, and they were seeking an example to confront him with. Things looked black for them — not a man had come into the restaurant for ten minutes without raising his hand to his face.

“We ought never to have given up waxed mustaches,” said Abe. “Nevertheless Dick isn’t the ONLY man with repose —”
    “Oh, yes, I am.”
    “— but he may be the only sober man with repose.”
    A well-dressed American had come in with two women who swooped and fluttered unselfconsciously around a table. Suddenly, he perceived that he was being watched — whereupon his hand rose spasmodically and arranged a phantom bulge in his necktie. In another unseated party a man endlessly patted his shaven cheek with his palm, and his companion mechanically raised and lowered the stub of a cold cigar. The luckier ones fingered eyeglasses and facial hair, the unequipped stroked blank mouths, or even pulled desperately at the lobes of their ears.
    A well-known general came in, and Abe, counting on the man’s first year at West Point — that year during which no cadet can resign and from which none ever recovers — made a bet with Dick of five dollars.
    His hands hanging naturally at his sides, the general waited to be seated. Once his arms swung suddenly backward like a jumper’s and Dick said, “Ah!” supposing he had lost control, but the general recovered and they breathed again — the agony was nearly over, the garçon was pulling out his chair .
    With a touch of fury the conqueror shot up his hand and scratched his gray immaculate head.
    “You see,” said Dick smugly, “I’m the only one.”

Songbird likes this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This site.

MTM likes this.
  7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The word "Last" for almost anything sports related.

Unless the world ends NOW, it probably wasn't the last anything.

The Blue Jays have won their PAST seven games.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

Ambulances that try to drum up business with unfortunate parking jobs.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The little head movements as TV anchors and reporters deliver news reports.
    Is that to hold the viewers' attention? It distracts me, but there's no changing it.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Double Chuckie Burger, large fries and a Cherry Coke, and it's for here."

"OK, that comes to $8.63. Is that for here or to go?"

Killick and dixiehack like this.
  11. Killick

Here's another that might just be Cincinnati-specific: idiots in a turn lane that, before making that turn, veer slightly into the middle lane. So, instead of a right angle, their turn becomes a big swooping turn that involves two lanes... because turning the steering wheel the correct way is just too tough? I dunno.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Killick

Reminds me of a story another poster, Just-a-SID, used to tell about a coworker with an odd ordering habit at McDonald's.

His order: "Yeah, I'd like a quarter-pounder with cheese, NO CHEESE."

Draft saved Draft deleted