1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little things you can't ignore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Aug 16, 2016.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

We were at an event hosted by our owners with employees from 11 papers present. They had a contest and when the emcee said "Winner of the first annual contest is ...." every editorial person present cringed.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Task" or "gift" as a verb.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

My third place vote: quotes that have little to do with the previous sentence.

In 1965, Dick Butkus joined the Bears and immedately became the most feared linebacker in the game.
    "Bill George was my teammate and a good guy," Butkus said.

Ace likes this.
  4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Commercials division: There's a local financial firm that has its matriarch doing their commercials. At the end, she says something like "Eagle Financial, where we treat you like family" and then tries to smile before the ad ends. But, her smile comes off more like a sneer... just for the split second before it goes to black. Keep wondering why the hell they keep airing the bitch-face ending. Can't they edit it again, just trimming it off?!?!

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

We had some training on the best way to write headlines for the Internet. We were told words such as "why" and "how" are good openers.

Now it seems like those are forced into every headline on our website

Why Podunk Council is seeking more road funds

How Putztown High beat Yourso High, 3-2.

It's so cheesy and not likely to bring any extra web hits.

OscarMadison and Killick like this.
  6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

These digital fucks are the bane of our industry. I was writing for a health news website and the eds were pushing stories with Kim Kardashian in them because "They get hits!"

Fuck. Them.

OscarMadison, Riptide and MTM like this.
  7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

"Digital fucks. Fuck. Them."

That would guarantee some hits, I bet!

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's mainstream papers too. I follow a couple of my former stops on Facebook and it seems like half their posts are pure clickbait having nothing to do with their communities.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This one weird track can stave off cutbacks for another quarter!

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Fixed that for ya. Also, Jimmy? Bruce does not need your help. Nor does any other musician who visits your show. Sit. Down.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When someone praises a politician or executive or whatever by saying he "surrounds himself with good people."

Who doesn't try to surround themselves with good people?

What's next? He's really good at breathing air!

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

When a broadcaster describes a team as winners of their last 8 in a row. If they've won 8 in a row, it's their last 8 games.

Draft saved Draft deleted