1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little things I hate: those new Coke bottle caps

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, May 23, 2010.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Am I alone here? Coke's replaced its bottle caps a few months ago and I swear I can't get a grip on these new things. They just don't have traction.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Man, you must have one helluva charmed life. If I were to list things that bother me, bottlecaps would be at LEAST third down the line. :p

Seriously, tho, I'm not a Coke drinker (Pepsi guy), so I hadn't noticed. What's different?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ripped the side of my finger a couple of weeks ago trying to open one...

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Unless I'm crazy, these bottles have been out for at least a couple of years now.

Yep, just Googled it, found a Coca Cola press release from early September, 2007: http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/presscenter/nr_20070904_ccna_grip_bottles.html

The bottles don't bother me at all, but I guess you should be happy that they just now made it to your area.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Yeah, the bottle itself is easier to hold onto, but the cap is much more shallow and without as much grip -- and if wet, it can be a bitch to open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Slappy: Well you know they don't allow outside drinks in the movie theater. So I had to put it in my shirt and sneak it in.
    Jackie Chiles: Yeah, see they like to sell their own soda.
    Slappy: Yeah, now is that going to be a problem?
    Jackie Chiles: Yeah that's going to be a problem. It's gonna be a problem for them. This a clear violation of your rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights. It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous.
    Slappy: It's definitely preposterous.
    Jackie Chiles: So. Then what happened?
    Slappy: Well I was trying to unscrew the cap and it ripped the skin off my finger
    Jackie Chiles:Did they off to take the top off for you?
    Slappy: No.
    Jackie Chiles: [to secretary over intercom] Suzie. I want you to go down to 7 / 11 . Get me a Diet Coke with a cap on it. Don't let them unscrew it
    Jackie Chiles: We're gonna run some test on that top. Have you been to the doctor?
    Slappy: No. No, I haven't.
    Jackie Chiles: Suzie. Call Dr. Bison. Set up an appointment for Mr. Slappy here to look at his finger. Tell him it's from me.
    Slappy: So, what do you think, Mr. Chiles.
    Jackie Chiles: Jackie
    Slappy: Jackie. I mean, we have a chance?
    Jackie Chiles: Do we have a chance? You get me one Diet Coke drinker on that jury, you gonna walk outta there a rich man.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Coke caps were better when they featured baseball all-stars.

[​IMG]

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Would take about 100 Claude Osteens to get one Sandy Koufax.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Reminds me of when I was 18 and a friend and I were sneaking beers into a theater. They just happened to be Busch. And, since it was 1988, the theater just happened to be running a program where you could "vote" for president by asking for a Bush or Dukakis straw with your drink. Though my coat was packed with beer, I got a small Coke.

The counter chick then dutifully asked "Bush?"
    Killick (pissing down pantleg): "Oh, shit! Busted! RUN!"
    CC: "... or Dukakis?"
    Killick: "Huh? Wha... Oh! Uh, doesn't matter."

10. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

As someone that spent several summers and holidays working at a movie theater, let me assure you, no one really cares about people bringing in outside food.

We'd find all sorts of crazy shit in theaters, used condoms, buckets of chicken, beer bottles, you name it.

I didn't care about people bringing in food. One time, a guy was carrying a footlong Subway sandwich out in the open, I stopped him, and he responded "Then I want a refund on my ticket." At this point, I just said "Ah, I don't really give a crap, go ahead," and let the guy walk right past me with his sandwich out in the open. I started out at minimum wage and got a $.25 raise every 3 to 6 months, so I had little interest in enforcing any rules.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

JACKIE: You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put the balm on. Why'd you put the balm on? You haven't even been to see the doctor. If your gonna put a balm on, let a doctor put a balm on.

SLAPPY: I guess I screwed up huh Jackie?

JACKIE: Your damn right you screwed up. Where the hell did you get that damm balm anyway?

SLAPPY: The Maestro.

JACKIE: The who? What are you talking about Maestro?

SLAPPY: My friend he's a conductor.

JACKIE: Oh oh oh, so a Maestro tells you to put a balm on and you do it?

SLAPPY: Well my finger hurt.

JACKIE: I tell you what this is. This is a public humiliation.

SLAPPY: Well I didn't know the balm was gonna work.

JACKIE: Do you know what a balm is? Have you ever seen a balm? Didn't you read the instructions?

SLAPPY: Well I ...

JACKIE: (interrupts) No one can tell what a balm's gonna do. They're unpredictable.

SLAPPY: I'm sorry Jackie.

12. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

This morning, when I got a 20oz coke, I noticed a new feel to the lids. At least, new to my area. The lids now have the old style ridges in between the new ridges. I assume this is to solve the problem complained of in this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted