1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Little Mosque on the Prairie"...paging Hondo and Poindexter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Dec 15, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

New sitcom from CBC.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1166136613747&call_pageid=968867495754&col=969483191630

The stories come from my own experiences and observations," says creator Zarqa Nawaz, who was born in Liverpool, grew up in Toronto, and now lives with her husband and four children in Regina.

"The feeling out there — the media's caricature — is of Muslim extremists," said Nawaz, who is creator as well as co-executive producer. "I'm showing a group of Canadian Muslims trying to keep their religion and family together, but facing everything with a lot of fun."

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr R,

Just got back from Regina ... they don't even have Italians there, never mind Islam.

Went to an Italian restaurant there -- thought a Caprese salad would thaw me out. Good luck. But the owner told me there's maybe three or four families. In what passes for a major Canadian city.

YHS, etc

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hell, you don't have to go to Regina to experience that.

Try Double J land--Shelbourne, Owen Sound, Meaford, Hanover and environs.

But you're right. Rumour has it that Regiina is supposedly a major city.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Muslim and Canadian? I think Boom, Chris_L, Big_Dog and Poindexter's heads all simultaneously exploded.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Is there a point here? Or some inside Canadian joke?

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Our motto: "all white is all right." ;)

And, since we're giving shouts out to my home region, I urge all red-blooded male SportsJournalists.com members to check out the January '07 issue of Stuff magazine, featuring cover girl Victoria Pratt of Chesley, Ontario (co-star of the new ABC drama "Day Break"). I was quite pleased to see that she talked about Big Bruce, the famous giant Hereford bull that keeps a silent vigil over their town.

Be advised, this link may not be SFW.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I predict this show will do for TV what Degrassi Junior High did for it when I was younger.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

[​IMG]

Don't worry, I got some hondo repellent

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't know, Double J, but back in the day when I was up in that part of the woods every damn weekend, I went to Chesley for the damn buttertarts. Best ones I've ever had.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Read the article. It's not a joke. Well, they hope the show IS funny.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Muslim, Canadian and liberal. :)

12. I find "buttertarts" a very funny word.

Draft saved Draft deleted