1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little Miss Sunshine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Steve Carell is rising with a bullet on my must-see-if-they're-in-it list of movies.

I'm glad for him. He's still far and away my favorite Daily Show correspondent of all-time. And 40-Year-Old Virgin was excellent.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Interesting that no one has really talked about the little girl. She's definitely a cutie pie and played the role pretty well.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The In-Laws (the original, with Arkin and Falk) was freaking hilarious. Arkin was great in a deer-in-headlights sort of way.

4. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Threadjack? I thought that was "Freejack" ;)

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

That is exactly why I won't see a comedy in a theatre.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I understand, but sometimes you are missing out. The crowd can add a lot to a movie. When I saw There's Something About Mary in the theater the crowd's reactions to the gross parts and hysterical laughing at the funny parts made it one of the best movie experiences ever. Plus picking up the jokes you missed just adds to the DVD enjoyment.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

LMS was the first movie I've seen in the theater in a LONG time. It was a decent, quick movie to see.

I'd give it 3 stars out of four too.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

OK, Buck, a question for you.
    Why don't you rate movies with 5 stars instead of 4?
    That way, you never have to resort to half-stars.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I saw the movie last night and can't remember ever laughing so hard at anything in my life as the finale. It struck a major chord with me, even more so because of a funny personal story affiliated with that song. Unbelievably hilarious. I thought I was going to piss myself.

(How's that for a movie poster blurb: "I thought i was going to piss myself" -- Del_B_Vista, Hungry Horse News)

10. Rambler

Rambler Member

Just saw it...Terrific movie.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't know. That's a good question, though.
    The four-star system just seems to be kind of a standard, so I've adopted it when talking about movies.
    In a more specific sense, our movie critic uses a four-star rating system (again I don't know why), so on those few occassions when I've been able to pitch in a movie review (which is a lot of fun and I wish I could do more), I've si ply used what is our style.

Del B V, I thought the finale was a little derivative of 'Napoleon Dynamite.' that's an easy way out of story like that. Let's have the geeks, weirdos, losers, whatever dance unabashedly. Not a bad ending, but to obvious close on the heels of the other movie.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I just got back from it and enjoyed it. Certainly more than I did the couple of other movies I've seen this year. It was amusing, but also thought provoking at times. I liked it much like I enjoyed Dead Flowers.

Draft saved Draft deleted