1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

little man shockey's first semester grades

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Little Liesl spent her first semester at University of Texas at San Antonio and got a 3.8 both semesters. Transferred to UT Austin this year and got a 2.4 She also began working this semester. Yes, we cover her tuition, books and rent. She covers the rest. Yes, we choose to do that. And I always thought that by doing so we had some say in how her grades come out.

I have come to realize that we really don't. We make a choice. But, she also makes choices herself, everyday. SHE knows that a 2.4 is not a good enough GPA. And not because we said it's not a good grade, but because she says it's not a good grade. I didn't get on to her at all for her grades. She did enough of that for all of us.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You reproduced?

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm with Cadet, why is he taking only 9 credits? That's not even a full-time workload. I took 16 credits my first semester, IIRC.

I agree, though, with those who say sometimes the first semester can be tough. For example, my sister got something like a 3.2 her first semester (a number considered subpar by my parents), but she ended up averaging a 3.9 in the other seven semesters.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's the goddamn local paper's fault. Had it just written more about you, you would have gotten a scholarship and you'd be pitching in the bigs right now. :D

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't think one just throws an 18-year-old into college away from home and say, "Ha! We wash our hands of you!" Of course you communicate with them and let them know you're there for them. She chose her own college and chose her own courses, but you don't throw someone into that situation safety net-less, and you don't blow a gasket over a problem first semester.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And slappy....yes...you're fucked.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Seems to me the best thing to do is treat the bad grades as a symptom rather than the problem. Find out whether the reasons are academic, non-academic or a mix of the two- then address those issues. I think getting all worked up about his course load or who should or shouldn't pay for school would be to miss a chance to focus on some deeper issues.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

9. Gehrig38

Gehrig38 New Member

You should have never given him those rubbers at his going away party.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's what she said.

Sorry.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I would definitely make him pay for his tuition if his grades don't improve. And I would tell him that he has to get a part-time job. Having a non-negotiable responsibility helps with time management" But don't completely freak out quite yet. For one thing, his major might not suit him. I entered college as a biz major and Accounting did to my GPA what the rest of the NFL did to the Lions. I changed to Poli Sci, which was suited to my talents and I loved it intellectually, and my grades reflected it. I had friends who came in as pre-med, got absolutely destroyed by Biology and Chemistry, before they changed to Econ and loved it. Encourage him to take all kinds of classes to see what interests him.

And I reflect what someone said earlier: I would rather take a 300-level class for a general ed requirement than a 100-level. A 300-level is much more likely to be focused on a single topic. It's the difference between taking Juvenile Justice vs. Intro to Sociology. Or Ancient Rome vs. Intro to U.S. History.

P.S. I went from academic probation in undergrad to being a graduate of one of the top 50 law schools in the country. So a bad semester is not the end of the world.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'll third the fact that "Intro to Sociology" and "Intro to World History" were the two worst classes I ever took in college. Massive lectures, crappy TAs, no incentive to attend, etc.

And I never had to study in HS, either, so I was an average-to-below average student my first couple years.

I went to such a big school that half the battle was finding out where the good classes were, and then having enough credits that I could actually register for them. Once that happened, smooth sailing.

Well, relatively smooth, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted