1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little Leaguer Being Sued

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JC, Jun 22, 2012.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A little leaguer who accidentally hits a fan in the face with an errant throw is being sued for 150000. Absolutely ridiculous.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/News/2012/06/22/19909541.html

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

PLUS - - a littlse something for "pain and suffering".

There is only one side of the story reported here, but that other side of the story better have some heavy ammo if it wants to find even a shred of favor in the court of public opinion.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

She should be a school bus monitor in Greece, N.Y.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I certainly would like to know what kind of injuries she sustained. Seems like that would be in the story.

If the kid loses, he is going to have to mow a helluva lot of lawns.

5. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

What's scary, IMO, is that out of 1,531 voters in the online poll that runs with the story, there are 22 who actually believe she should win her suit.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If she wanted to sue the league, the owner of the park, etc. for unsafe facilities, that's one thing. But suing the kid is ridiculous. The case should be thrown out summarily.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am surprised that it is the kid being sued (but really it is his family's homeowner policy being sued). I would not be surprised at all to see that there was some kind of liability on the league's part.

In our league, the fence only extends to the end of the dugout, stopping short of first base. With some of the novice first basemen trying to catch balls from the hardest-throwing shortstops, just imagine how fast balls go whistling that way. Yet before every game someone puts the chairs down 10 feet behind the base, and there's also a tree there where all the little kids gather while their brothers are playing.

We had the same situation with our bullpen. I myself have thrown some balls into the picnic area when the pitcher missed. This year we finally put up a fence around the whole bullpen.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You go to a game, you assume some risk in terms of batted or thrown balls into the stands.

Any Major League ticket will have that on their ticket (or it is announced at the stadium).

This isn't Major League, but the principle is the same.

I'll bet the woman was either yapping on her cell phone or talking to someone else, completely oblivious to what was going on on the field.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

As an aside, the poll with the story is completely ridiculous:

Should Elizabeth Lloyd win her more than $150,000 Little League lawsuit?

No, Lloyd is playing the system.

Yes, try living a day in her shoes.

Depends.

The story says nothing about her condition.

As a matter of fact, I have lived quite a few days after being hit in the face with a batted ball hit by a 12-year-old through a cage during batting practice. I managed not to sue anyone.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Fuckng Jersey.

11. printit

printit Member

This is absurd on multiple levels. Most states have a lower negligence standard for kids. (reasonable 12 year old not same thing as reasonable prudent person) Throwing a bad ball in a game wouldn't be negligence anyway, even if it was an adult. There is assumption of the risk on the part of anyone at a ballgame to watch out for the ball.

All of that being said, I could see a design expert testifying that the park is unsafe (low fencing, bleachers positioned in odd position to field, etc.) But this case should be dismissed on summary judgment against the kid.

12. printit

printit Member

And, after reading the article, she waits 2 years to sue? Must be a 2 year statute of limitations in New Jersey for general negligence.

Draft saved Draft deleted