1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little League World Series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 10, 2008.

1. nonsycophant

nonsycophant New Member

Hi waterytart and thank you for your reasonable question.
    I stated this in an earlier post:
    "I can see reporters/announcers referring to the Hawaiian TEAM that just won the LLWS, but to call members of the team "Hawaiians" is not only disrespectful,* as I stated before, but -- and if you're a journalist this should be your concern -- INACCURATE." (*disrespectful to true native Hawaiians)
    So yes, I and many other professional journalists differentiate calling the TEAM Hawaiian, from automatically referring to MEMBERS of the team as Hawaiian.
    To anybody who has never lived in or loved Hawaii, it may seem, at a minimum, to be unnecessary nitpicking. At worst, it could appear to be racist. It is not.
    Since this site is for sports journalists, it was my hope there might be some interest in accuracy.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Here's accuracy: The legal name of the nonprofit corporation sponsoring the champions of the Little League World Series is "Waipahu Little League." That's Waipahu, not Waipio.You haven't even gotten that right. So much for accuracy.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Did you change your post or something?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Deleted original and reposted. I'm just tired of this whiny PC Police bullshit.

And because they're obvious for this thread:

[​IMG]
    Hawaiians!

And the Islanders!
    [​IMG]

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

for the love of god you are a dumbass. in fact, you might be the stupidest person in the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted