1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little League World Series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 10, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Only the ugly half.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and the irish, from the northeastern part of the county donegal, weep because of your inability to grasp their worth.

you fucker ... and remember that in your stories.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's all the rant I get from you?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you only left a three-word post. what do you expect?

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Actually, it's not just like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Hawaiians
    It's not racism, 2mcm. It's the native people of Hawaii trying to preserve a heritage that non-natives have eroded or flat-out stolen. It all started with the overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy by rich, white businessmen in the 1800s. Since then, Native Hawaiians have seen their language nearly wither away, their culture trampled and their land sold to the highest bidder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Hawaii

I'm not sure if seeing a bunch of whitebread mainlanders telling people from Hawaii what they are and what they aren't is funny or sad.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if you're playing for your state on a little league team, you're a whateverian. if you can't live with that, stay home. there are much better forums to preach bloodlines than little league baseball for christ's sake.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

WFFW, Tomas.

I understand where you're coming from about the heritage (hell, one of my best friends is from Hawai'i, and she has no problem with being called a Hawaiian), but i just don't get why you simply cannot let it be.

8. nonsycophant

nonsycophant New Member

TrooperBari, thank you for your very important contribution to this discussion. It would seem that some people are unwilling to pry themselves away from their comfortable ignorance -- to the point that any discussion of bloodline or the accurate representation of a person from Hawaii simply disintegrates into a racist argument. Had posters clicked through to the links I provided, they would see that locally, we refer to the winning team as the Waipio Little League Team.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

had we cared, we would have clicked.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You apparently care enough to keep talking about it, albeit with flip, dismissive comments.

Come on. Admit you care. We won't think less of you.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn you, dangerously. you've always read me like a book.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

nonsycophant and Bari,

I'm going to give this one non-blue-font try. Let's shift our gaze to the Olympics. If South Africa fielded a mixed-race team, could it not be called the South African team because it included whites? Lots of publicity was given to the American who played for the Russian women's basketball team. So were they no longer the Russian team?

A team from Hawaii is inevitably going to be called the Hawaiian team. The Hawaiians (ethnic usage) have so many legitimate complaints. Is this really the hill you want to die on?

Draft saved Draft deleted