1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little League World Series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 10, 2008.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Happy to help. :D

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

FWAP!

They're from Hawaii. Therefore, they're Hawaiians. And they are from Waipahu on Oahu, not the Waipio Valley on the big island.

If you're going to insist on talking about blood, here's your options:

• A positive.
    • A negative.
    • B positive.
    • B negative.
    • AB positive.
    • AB negative.
    • O positive.
    • O negative.

Those "of Hawaiian ancestry" are correctly referred to as Polynesian, the proper name for their ethnic group.

Mahalo.

3. georgealfano

georgealfano Guest

I was glad to see Hawaii win because their manager, Timo Donahue, is a first-rate guy.

As to only televising the final, I'll tell you what a producer of one of those Little League regional games told me for a story I did. This TV producer had done bigger sports events, including the LA Marathon, but he said the Little League Regionals was his favorite event because it was kids playing a kid's game.

4. nonsycophant

nonsycophant New Member

2muchcoffee - you gonna front with me? Bad idea. Waipio is a community near Waipahu on the island of Oahu. http://starbulletin.com/2008/08/25/news/story01.html, http://starbulletin.com/2008/08/25/sports/reardon.html
    Waipio is also the name of one of the most beautiful, historically significant valleys on the Big Island.
    Waipio (Oahu) does not have its own U.S. Post Office but it is near Waipahu. Among the Waipio team's multiracial players there are surely part-Hawaiians. Hawaii is full of multiracial people who take pride, not in whether their blood is A-positive or O-negative, but whether it is Filipino, Chinese, Japanese, Hawaiian, Samoan (also Polynesian, mahalo) etc.
    I can see reporters/announcers referring to the Hawaiian TEAM that just won the LLWS, but to call members of the team "Hawaiians" is not only disrespectful, as I stated before, but -- and if you're a journalist this should be your concern -- INACCURATE.
    In Hawaii we take pride in our ethnic diversity. Some of us also try to be sensitive to our host-culture, TRUE Hawaiians.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sorry, dude, but Minnesotans are Minnesotans even if they aren't Lakota or Ojibwae.

Same deal.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There is no "Waipio team." The team that won the 2008 Little League World Series represents Waipahu Little League. Look it up.

The team is from Hawaii. All residents of Hawaii are Hawaiians. Many of them, but not all of them, are also of the Polynesian ethnic group.

I don't have time for this offensively racist not-all-Hawaiians-are-Hawaiians stuff you've pulled out of your ass. In fact, I don't have time for racism. Period. If you have a problem with being referred to as Hawaiian, that's your problem because it's not based in reality.

All blood is red blood. There is no "ethnic blood." The only race is the human race.

STFU.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hate to break this to you, but NOBODY FUCKING CARES.

i don't care about californians, i don't care about missourians, i don't care about new yorkers and i sure as to fuck don't care about hawaiians.

if you're looking for a hug, go somewhere else.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Easy does it, non. Most of these folks haven't lived here, so they don't know.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I don't see the big deal with calling a kid from Hawaii a Hawaiian.

That's just like calling someone from Kentucky a Kentuckian.

But by Non's logic, Musberger and the ABC/ESPN crew couldn't call the team from Japan Japanese or the team from Canada Canadians or the team from Italy Italians. And while I understand where you're coming from with the heritage angle, I just don't see how it is disrespectful to anyone.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hawaiians are a wacky bunch.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So's your face.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

my face is half irish, and you just insulted it. remember that in your stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted