1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little League World Series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I figured one would be started in the next few days as the teams advance.

Thought I'd start this though with a Vermont All Star team I covered last year that was granted government permission to go play 10 games in Cuba, starting today. Last year the team was uber-young but still finished 3rd in the state. Most of the kids returned but the team finished 2nd and didn't advance to the New England regional. Still great kids. It's been neat to follow their story in the my old paper, as well as in the VN and S.I.

AP has been sending over photos today. Here's my favorite so far.

That being said, anyone here have a team on the threshold of advancing to Williamsport?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

ICE CREAM!!!!!!!
  3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not my team, but was happy to see the boys from Rapid City made the dance.

First SD team ever, I think.
  4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Little League World Series regional finals should never be on TV.
  5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't think anything other than the Little League World Series championship game should be on TV. That's the way it was when I was a kid, but it guess it's too late to turn back now.
  6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The only real advantage is that by the time the championship game comes, the kids have already been on TV three or four times, so they get somewhat used to it.

When entire regional tournaments are on TV, that will be overboard ("Hang on folks and we'll have you out to Bend, Oregon, for the 9 p.m. Pacific time start of the first-round regional game between Walla Walla, Washington, and Mountain Home, Idaho!")
  7. Songbird

Pullman would whip Walla Walla.
  8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Well, Mountain Home would probably have to cheat anyway. :p

(Good thing my mom's not on the board; she'd rip me a new one for dissing her hometown :D)
  9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Christ... that a cow pasture?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Naw, it's a sugar cane field.
  11. Songbird

One of my favorite pics from last summer was of the kid sliding after he reached base. He was standing there, smiling, kind of grabbing his arm, embarrassed.
  12. nafselon

nafselon Active Member

I went to the Southeast region finals on Friday and I had to admit it was a very enjoyable experience even though the local team destroyed those poor saps from 'Bama.
Draft saved Draft deleted