1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little League World Series insights

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Aug 12, 2012.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, I found a ton of stories at that thing...and agreed...you're regular Little League season who cares? But once you get to all-stars even the lower level tourneys are worth doing something on at most community-level papers. And the LLWS was just fantastic.

My Gresham team took on the Ugandans, who became the first African team to win a Series game that day.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

First of all, it's about resources. Does the paper have resources to cover the Little League World Series. Yes? By all means, go. Most papers, however, don't have the resources to cover freshman, junior varsity, middle school, etc. And as the dad to a varsity high school cheerleader ... nobody gives a flying rat's ass about competitive cheerleading, and if it ever came to our city, it would be handled by the newsies.

Second, if you go to an event like this and sulk, you suck. I didn't get into the business to cover fucking rodeo, but some of the coolest guys I've ever interviewed are rodeo cowboys. Gracious, up front, honest, and they'll occasionally invite you out for a beer or six. I didn't get into the business to cover summer collegiate baseball, but I once stumbled into a story about a pitcher who always had a stuffed teddy bear in his bag, the bear's head propped out and always facing the field. Turned out, his baby brother died days after birth, and that bear was his brother's. The pitcher took it with him everywhere. Even got in a couple fights in high school when others would steal it or talk shit to him about carrying the bear.

The point is, do your job. You never know what kind of stories you might discover. The Little League World Series isn't some small-time event. Look at the crowds at Williamsport. Most of those kids will never play in front of crowds like that again.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

About as well as it could be said.

Especially the "if you go there and sulk, you suck" part.

4. Flex, glad you enjoyed the experience. I tell people all the time that if you've never been here, it's worth making the trip at least once. One of our reporters was talking to a couple sitting in front of press row the other day and it turns out they flew in from San Diego just to watch the Series. The lady had been coming since 2004, she met the guy in 2010, and they've been dating ever since. Fun little story, and stories like that are floating all over the place here, you just have to talk to people to find them.

I hope you got some good stuff out of the Gresham kids playing against Uganda. It sounds like everyone wanted the chance to play the kids from Uganda.

5. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I may have worked with, for you, when first starting out in the business. It's this kind of attitude that rubbed off on me, and hopefully, made me a better reporter.

Every young writer starting out should stash SoCalDude's advice in their wallet alongside their driver's license and maxed out Visa.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I do wonder how much pressure flex's paper gets to cover Little League from the start next spring.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I think you do a story when they open, noting that X kids from this team are playing again.

Then you pick them up at the playoff level, maybe a stage earlier than usual, hinging on how many kids return.

Other than that, you explain clearly, that you don't cover regular-season Little League (unless you do. We have a correspondent, but we are a small-town weekly.)

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I agree. A story on the front end equals an ounce of prevention.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I don't care what the age of the players was, that U.S. final was some of the most fun viewing of any baseball game in a long time.

(And yes, we turned to golf when it was 8-1 in the third, then back in the sixth. ;))

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Oh yes, it was great fun...both watching the games and all the off-the-field stuff that you track down. Nice town, too, plenty in Williamsport to do away from the stadium, and enough going on nearby if you have a rental car. I'd love to go back someday, although I'm not expecting to.

Draft saved Draft deleted