1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little League World Series insights

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Aug 12, 2012.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Hi all...our local team Gresham National qualified for the Little League World Series today, so I'm preparing for the trek to Williamsport later this week. Sounds like mayhem converging on a small town for 10 days, but wanted to post here and see if people had stories and insights to share about their experiences covering the event.

What works well...what doesn't. Basically, what am I walking into?

thanks,

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Went once.....our hotel was maybe 20-25 minutes from the park...access was good, food decent. They keep the kids pretty well sequestered in their village/haven but if you have good relationships with the coach/parents it shouldn't be roadblock tough, kids are often out and about watching the other games and you can catch them then.

Games were easy, plenty of space, wi-fi, etc. Losing coach was sometimes a pain in the neck and they don't generally bring out losing players, thankfully my guy always came out after a loss and was willing to grab a couple of his players for me but I saw others that were really crunched when their teams disappeared near deadline.

Best advice is try to keep in touch with coach/parents so you can make sure you have enough stuff on the off days.

3. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

My advice: Don't cover it.

Seriously, you paid for four years of college so you can ... interview 12-year-old baseball players?

I'm sorry, but I'm way above that.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

@ PE Teacher...sorry, but I think you're missing the boat. It's caught our community by storm and all our numbers are reflecting that.

The attitude that a reporter is "above" covering something strikes me the wrong way, too.

Personally, I'd rather go watch 12-year-olds play for the joy of playing over being at a Super Bowl or NBA Finals with a bunch of violent, overpaid, unfaithful you-know-whats, who couldn't care less about talking to you.

5. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

If your handle is accurate, I'm guessing you spend all day talking to 12-year-olds.

6. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Or at least telling them to go run laps.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

yeah, i get your point, but please don't throw out "what's your favorite flavor of ice cream?" over covering the super bowl.
    that shit really isn't flying.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Never covered Williamsport, but covered the West regional for many years. It's a little more loose there, though lately it has gotten tighter. Definitely have a good relationship with the coach. I'm sure he knows what a big deal it is back home and will talk with you/give you as much insight as possible. Same with parents. See where they're going off-campus on their off days and/or practices and they'll probably let you tag along. Same with parents, have contact with them for insights of what's going on that won't necessarily get covered by ESPN.

Have fun.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

No disrespect meant here, but this is the freakin' LITTLE LEAGUE WORLD SERIES! Little League attracts a lot of attention among readers. Just sayin. :)

10. jemaz

jemaz Member

And here you have Exhibit A for the demise of newspapers: The idiocy and arrogance among so many who have decided what is newsworthy and what is not. Thankfully you are not teaching my kids. Whatever money you paid for college, it was wasted.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've covered the local team in a Dixie Youth World Series, and if I would've taken the approach that I was above covering it, I would've been ridden out of town on a rail. Rightfully so. There is a big difference between a travel team playing in this weekend's [cough] national tournament and the LLWS (Dixie, Cal Ripken or whatever your local youth league offers). Despite what some travel mama says, the majority of the readership, thankfully, realizes that.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So your advice is for the guy to tell his editor that he's not doing it? Brilliant.

Draft saved Draft deleted