1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little League question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Aug 10, 2015.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You make the mistake of thinking that 12-year-olds of 2015 have the same maturity base as 12-year-olds of 19-whenever. They've seen a lot more.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am not talking about a regular 'ol Little League game, which I can't imagine would require noting errors.

I am talking about a regional tournament.

To get there:

• You have to be selected as an All-Star from your league and can be up to 13 if your birthday falls right (or from another league or 14 or 15 if you want to bend the rules a bit)
    • You have to win your district tournament against the other All-Star teams to advance
    • You have to win your state tournament. So at this point you are representing the state of Podunk (or maybe Podunk West if it's a really big state).

So now you are in a regional tournament probably out of state with teams from surrounding states. Winner goes to the World Series. Some of these games are on ESPN, and the play-by-play is posted on the LLSW website.

If you flub the fly ball and lose the game word will get out.

3. jr/shotglass

ALL the games are on ESPN3, at least.

And while we're at it, I don't remember us being in the business of softening the blow. You report the news.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Those kids screw up, fuck 'em. Make 'em the Bill Buckner of their little town.

You're even dumber than I thought if you don't think newspapers have been "softening the blow" toward kids for the last two centuries.

5. jr/shotglass

You're talking in a vacuum. You obviously have no idea what the reality is in this whole thing. And frankly, I'm glad that I don't believe you deserve an explanation.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Right now I am sitting at a bar and the TV is tuned to ESPN showing the Ohio vs Kentucky regional.

I will holler if there are any errors.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Official scorer was pretty nice on bad throw that allowed a run. Maybe there aren't any errors.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sounds exciting. Spelling bee not on?

Ace likes this.
  9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yeah you have to talk to him. No way you can write the story without talking to the 12-year-old, who just blew the game and probably is crying.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We blanketed coverage of the regional -- and I did out-of-state freelance assignments -- at a previous stops and I did it for a lot of years. No names. There are many ways to get around it. Yes, the games are on ESPN. Yes, there's a win probability on Little League's official scoring website. They're 11, 12, 13.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Are some of the posts here for real. Newspapers do not print the name of a 16-year-old who stabs and robs a grandmother. But yeah make sure second baseman John Smith's error led to a four-run second inning is in at least the third graph.

12. jr/shotglass

Not a valid comparison, but anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted