1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little League question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Aug 10, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's creepy enough that these kids are being interviewed.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A Little League team playing in a regional is a much bigger deal for most communities than a varsity high school game. Bigger than a high school playoff game.

Not sure why or if it's fair but you go to the World Series and they're holding parades for you.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it but nothing you described makes it any less creepy to me.

Their not even teenagers yet, the coverage of these kids makes me cringe.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, Ace. I mean, they're barely out of diapers.

Ace likes this.
  5. SBR

SBR Member

Errors are kind of a dumb stat to begin with. It's the only play in baseball (in sports, maybe) that happens because of a scorer's opinion that something else should've happened.

We've had several of our teams go to the LLWS and we almost always write around it.

They hold parades so that politicians can get their faces in the paper hugging Little Leaguers. That's not really a reason to justify treating 12-year-olds like professionals.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem writing around or ignoring the errors in many cases. I would just not handcuff myself or another writer.

If your local team loses and commits six errors, do you tiptoe around that? If your team wins 1-0 and the only run came off an error by the opposing pitcher who had struck out 15 kids and allowed no hits, do you ignore the error?

I feel if you are going to cover them and staff them, you have to do it for real. If the errors are a big part of the story, you have to deal with it.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If you work for Ace, you're covering T-ball like your covering Watergate. If you don't like it, get the hell out of Ace's newsroom and don't even think you're a real journalist if you complain. In fact, get the hell out if you disagree.

Those snot-punk All Stars will get the same scrutiny as Big Ben in a bar or Tom Brady around an air pump.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're post is way off base, JH. I actually like journalists who complain.

Actually, I don't know any journalists who don't complain.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Isn't it possible to mention the error -- infield overthrow, errant pick-off, dropped ball in the outfield -- without mentioning the player by name?

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

If you are going to cover Little League you can write around it without saying who committed the error. I remember playing Little League at 12. You are not even a fricking teenager yet. It has nothing to do with journalistic integrity and informing the reader what he/she needs to know. Just fucking write around it. I mean the 11-year-old shortstop might boot five in a row. You gonna ruin his life for an article in a damn newspaper? Write around it. It's not that big a deal.

11. Fredrick

Ace, what is the big deal? It's Little League for gawd sakes. Write around it.

12. Fredrick

Quote the third baseman?? You can't be serious. Name him? Why? Ace we're talking about 10 to 12 year olds. Life goes on if you don't name the child. Do you remember when you were 10 to 12? Quoting a 12 year old who just cost his team the game ... could the kid's parents sue you for talking to a 12 year old unauthorized?? Creepy.

Draft saved Draft deleted