1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little League question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

About to ask my editor if I should mention who committed errors in Little League regional coverage (a tournament where the winner receives a berth in the Little League World Series.)

What say you? Should there be different rules for the team from our coverage area and its opponents?

2. I would identify them by position, but not name. That goes both ways, for both teams.

However, I could see mentioning a player making an error if in the same breath you're writing about them in a positive light: "Podunk Valley's Sam Jones dropped what would have been the final out in the sixth, though the left fielder redeemed himself by scoring the game-winning run in the next frame."
    But even then I may try to find a way to write around it.

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I have been told over and over that there are no errors in Little League. The official scorekeeper at the sectional tournament this year scoffed. He handed out errors, so I did too. I didn't name any names, but "Hometown scored three runs on a poor throw" popped up.

The official scorers at regionals will call 'em as they see 'em -- and it'll be on ESPN too.

Avoid assessing blame if you can, and treat both your team and the opponent the same way.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In regionals, I would definitely name them if the official scorekeeper attributed them. Regionals are big time. Many games are on TV and these kids are All-Stars.

Two caveats:

1. I wouldn't feel obligated to put the error in the game story if it was not crucial. Just like I wouldn't put every hit in the game story. Wouldn't add names to a linescore if that is not typical style. But if you do a bigger pro style box, I would consider it.

2. If you do name who was charged with an error, make sure it's right. Hell hath no fury like a Little League mom calling to say you said her son made an error and it was the kid they subbed in to play third that inning.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

"Johnny Nosepicker reached base on an error, and scored the winning run on a double by Timmy Pasteeater." You tell how the winning run reached and scored, and leave it at that.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yep.

Nope.

These kids are still 12 years old. They didn't exactly ask to be under this microscope.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So they joined the All-Star team hoping they wouldn't have their games on ESPN and hoping they wouldn't get to Williamsport?

OK.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's a little early to say "hey, get the glory, get the grief."

I'm sorry, that's just a dumb argument. If you don't see that 12-year-olds needed to be differently than professional athletes, there's not much further we can go.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They are 12.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You ever have a team go to the World Series? You cover them like they are the Yankees.

The regional tournament is what determines if they get there.

But you wouldn't mention who made an error?

Sorry. I can't agree.

Not saying you have to mention every error, but I would not tell someone to write around it.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

When possible I'd write around it, such as "on an overthrow" I try to leave them out entirely at the district level, once it gets to states, regionals and the world series I tend to mention them more if they're important to a big inning or the final score. I still stay away from directly saying Tommy Tuba bobbled it or anything like that.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Let's put it this wa. It's the regional final. Winner goes to the World Series. Score is tied in sixth inning and winning run scores on bad throw by third baseman, and he is charged with an error.

Do you name the third baseman? If not, do you talk to him? Quote him at all?

Draft saved Draft deleted