1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little League batter accidentally pummeled in on-deck circle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 6, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Good stuff, starman.

My cousin, then 8, got smacked in the back of the head -- with an aluminum bat swung by his sister -- while we were playing pepper in our back yard. He lost two teeth. Nothin' broken, and no writeup in the paper. Just sayin'.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watching the LL Southeast final a bit tonight and a pitcher was getting yanked - it almost looked like the kid was about to start brawling (as opposed with bawling) with the coach who was taking him out. The best part was that the coach was miked.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was standing just past the end of an end zone a couple of years ago in a high school pregame when a longer than the punter thought punt caught me right on the bridge of the nose when I wasn't looking.
    I yelled to the punter, "Is THAT the best you've got?"
    Hurt like hell, but I wasn't going to let him know it.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I know how this can happen because it happened to me. I was the one with the bat. I was 12 and in the on-deck circle swinging the leaded bat. The guy at the plate made out and I took one last hard swing before heading to the plate. Problem was, our bat boy, one of our other player's little brother, ran to pick up the bat at home plate left by the previous batter. he ran right past as I swung, never seeing him. Scared the crap out of me but I hit him more in the shoulder area, not the head. It can happen.

That aside, what I would give to get to be 11 and playing Little League again! :)

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2 of my best memories (one good, one bad) are from my LL Mets days; scary to think it's coming up on 25 years ago.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Worst Little League injury I remember from my childhood was a kid on my 8-9 year-old team taking a check swing liner in the mouth while he waited to hit at practice one day. He had a helmet on but it caught him square in the face.

Funniest Little League injury I remember happened to my father when he was coaching my younger brother's 14-year-old all-star team. He took a line drive off the knee when he was throwing BP one day and it broke his kneecap. Ended his coaching career.

He always joked that he had a rule that if he got hit by a ball when he was throwing BP that the next one was coming at your head. He said the only thing that pissed him off about getting hurt was that he didn't get to dust the kid with the next pitch.

Even today my brother and I still give him shit about it.

Me: "Hey dad, wanna go down to the park and throw some target practice?"

Dad: "Shut up."

Draft saved Draft deleted